• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

40 build, nakman style

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
1982French1-20.jpg

1982French2-3.jpg

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FURTHER IN ALL TERRAIN Chassis court tolé is the starting point of a long line of 4x4 Solid vehicles, reliable, efficient in all circumstances. The land cruiser passes through a steep slope, steep slopes, trenches into mounds, its chassis with riveted ladders, its rims reinforced, its mechanical organs firmly protected by a tower All this makes the Land Cruiser an invincible tool that stands the test of time. The performance of the 3.4-liter diesel engine allows all exits in the forest, in the mountains or on the sand. In case of difficult passage, the gearbox coupled to the transfer with gearbox offers eight forward and two reverse speeds. And the Land Cruiser is not exclusively a 4 x 4 vehicle: you can always drive in two-wheel drive and even release the front wheels of any transmission. This is the system of freewheel hubs, standard on all Land Cruisers exists in regular gasoline version (cylinder capacity 4.21).

1982French4-5.jpg

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: FURTHER IN THE NATURE Medium-sized chassis: 36 cm longer in length compared to the short chassis of which 14,5cenemassage, a removable cover in particularly robust coated fabric, this Land Cruiser offers more space for a reasonable size . Adapted to all-terrain, comfortable on the road. The medium chassis is the ideal tool on the farm, on construction sites, in the mountains and for all utilitarian functions. The two rear doors open wide for ease of access and loading. An area of ​​2.3 m2 is then available for transporting straw bales, plow sowing motors or cinder blocks. The remarkable flexibility of the 4-cylinder diesel engine 21.6mND to 2200RPM DIN and the quality of the suspension allow long stages without fatigue. Because the Land Cruiser can both drive at 115 km / h and climb thanks to the speed reducer a slope of 45 °. In addition, the free-wheeling system at the front allows quiet and economical driving. Further on the road, further in charge, further into the nature ... Here is the Land Cruiser

1982French6-7.jpg

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: FURTHER IN THE ESCAPE Towing a boat or towing a caravan requires power and stability. The Land Cruiser medium chassis has both. The 66 kW at 3500 RPM DIN are always available, and the longer wheelbase better distributes the effort on the axles. With or without trailer On the Land Cruiser everything is planned to go far and take full advantage: 2.70 m3 at the bottom contain your luggage and your equipment (skiing, diving, Sailing, fishing ...). On the Land Cruiser, pleasure is always there. Vigor of the lines and panoramic height, a monument of serenity. A ray of sunshine makes you take off? Remove the vinyl cover and breathe in full lungs. If it is really beautiful, remove everything: the tarpaulin and the doors, lower the windscreen. You get a fantastic four-wheel drive convertible. Dominate the ocean and land on the beach: your Land Cruiser has not forgotten to be anti-comosion. Fly to the heights: never a car will have taken you so close to the peaks In Land Cruiser, live the unforgettable and forget the constraints. The adventure is at the end of the road.

1982French8-9.jpg

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FURTHER IN THE SERVICES Chassis long plate: thanks to its four-wheel drive, it is the ideal vehicle for the links to the most inaccessible shipyards. The interior space is not counted. At the rear, the available space is 340 m2 for a cargo volume of 4.18 m3. Access is facilitated by the two half-hinged doors opening wide and the threshold lowered to the maximum. The LandCruiser is also a truck capable of accepting heavy (more than one ton!) Or bulky loads of 2 meters in length!) In addition, it is capable of towing three Tons, with trailer braked. These are qualities that will serve many professionals practicing their trade in difficult terrain conditions

1982French10-11.jpg

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: MORE AWAY IN THE SPACE Who did not dream of being able to leave in the early morning, with friends, for a hunting party in the countryside? The Land Cruiser long chassis allows all the escapades, in all seasons. Muddy paths, forest trails or steep slopes are no longer inaccessible. To defeat all obstacles, the Land Cruiser has a valuable asset: its powerful and enduring 4-cylinder diesel. Against the bite of the cold, it has a spacious and perfectly sealed cockpit. Heating with two-speed ventilation ensures a gentle heat even when the thermometer is below zero! But the Land Cruiser also loves summer. By opening the rear quarter windows, you create a delicious fresh air change. On the trail of the big fauves of Africa, as for a fishing party on Sundays. For the handball team as for the group of mountaineers. In a long chassis, the TOYOTA 4 x 4 discovers a new dimension in the off-road space.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
1982French12-13.jpg

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: FURTHER IN EFFORT Pick-up: in English, remove take-off The pla- broad surrounded by side panels (foldable bitter) and accepts more than a ton of load. Reinforced by a steel cabin protector, the cockpit is particularly heavenly and well equipped. The Pick-up, powerfully pitched on its 4-wheel drive ... with rims reinforced will never disavow its driver whatever the paths borrowed. Is equipped with 4 cylinder diesel 3, 4l (66kw at 3500 rpm DIN.) The very low torque is an incomparable ally in the delicate passages (21.6 daN at 2200 rpm DIN). This is why the Land Cruiser Pick-Up is intended for all those who have to carry heavy and cumbersome materials through muddy roads or access to rutted work sites. This 4 x 4 utility does not resemble a sedan converted into a van and bending under load. Everything about the Land Cruiser is sturdy. " True beast of burden, the Pick-up, by its specific qualities, will effectively supplement the fleet of vehicles of a company, whatever its size. It will be more reliable, therefore more economical, for the craftsman who asks his van to spare his efforts. "Exists in regular gasoline version (cylinder capacity 4,210

1982French14-15.jpg

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: FURTHER IN THE EQUIPMENT Interior of the Land Cruiser, first impression. It's well done, it's perfect! Easy-to-read dials. Well-designed seats, adjustable in depth and tilt. Controls that naturally fall under the fingers, A generous glass surface. A very successful harmony between the colors and the materials, in short an unusual feeling of welcome for a 4 x 4 The detailed inspection of the Toyota Land Cruiser reveals a high level and high precision equipment. To withstand the cold, the Land Cruiser is equipped with a powerful heating. To prevent dust from entering the passenger compartment, a two-speed fan creates a slight pressure. The Land Cruiser is welcoming, each one has a great place for the legs and the shoulders. A glove box, a ceiling light, a cigarette lighter, are at your disposal. A Land Cruiser behaves on the finger and on the eye. Flexible direct steering and all necessary control lights: ammeter, oil pressure, parking brake, main beam, water temperature The Land Cruiser is a working tool made to last. That's why the Land Cruiser's interior uses resistant materials that are easy to maintain. Outside as inside, the Land Cruiser goes further. "Power-assisted steering as standard on petrol engine version

The vehicles delivered in France are equipped as standard, with head restraints and seat belts. Radio is optional.

1982French16-17.jpg

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: FURTHER IN THE ADAPTATIONS The Toyota Land Cruiser is the 4 x 4 to the thousand faces. You know that it offers three claddings, three bodies, two different engines. It is a starting point. Because you will be able to adjust your Land Cruiser according to your professional or leisure needs. For this, TOYOTA offers you a series of particularly functional adaptations. You can, for example, on medium and long chassis mount a winch, which in mechanical version offers you a pulling force of 2 tons, delivered with 50 meters of cable, hook and chain. But the Land Cruiser can go further, on the basis of the long chassis, it can become a vehicle for light forest fires, homologated civil protection (capacity 600 liters, flow 30 m3 / hour), snowplow with ben- Electro-hydraulic, or tool-holding vehicle with hydraulically operated telescopic boom, motorhome minibus, first-aid vehicle, tow truck, livestock trailer ... But maybe you have another use to offer? Identify your needs according to your activities and talk to your TOYOTA dealer, it will certainly make you discover the face of the Land Cruiser made for you.

1982French18-19.jpg

RECOVERABLE of more than 17CV leasing rents invoiced with VAT Like all commercial vehicles, the Toyota Land Cruiser rental rates and are aimed particularly at merchants, craftsmen and 1760% of companies looking for a transport tool ELECTRONICS series Of a practical and reliable, without giving up the pleasure of a The TOYOTALand Cruiser Diesel are equipped in attractive car and high performance. In addition, the Land Cruiser: electronic box that fulfills two important roles are not subject to the annual vehicle tax efficiency gives an overhead to the injection pump, thus facilitating company demolitions in all circumstances; Profit from the VAT to 17.60% recoverable safety immediately amd the engine in case of not subject to the super-vignette hitting the oil depression cars.

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER: A COMPLETE RANGE

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
First notable update in a while... my rear frame crossmember had a crack in it, the bottom leg of the "C" on the c channel was split. Consequently, the entire cross member could twist under load. I first discovered this a couple 40's only runs ago strapping Craig's 40 up to higher ground so we could re-seat his bead... using the receiver hitch as my attachment point it bent the receiver hitch up a bit. Was easy to bend back, I just stood on it and jumped a little. Well so that's something I planned to address someday... fast forward to this year and my newfound interest in towing with the 40, which revealed that hooking up a trailer can make the receiver hitch sag downwards. Ok time to fix it. Also my plan is to take the 40 to Cruise Moab, and so I owe it to myself and others to have a solid recovery point on the back.

Next stop then was to Dr. Isaac's Metal Laboratory, where I was allowed to watch and occasionally hand tools as he quickly and definitively resolved this issue by adding a 1/4" plate to the underside of the frame, which now ties into the frame cross members. This has erased any and all flex in the frame under load. He also fitted an additional angle to further strengthen the attachment point of the receiver hitch, and provide even more bracing against any twisting. So my little receiver hitch now bolts through an extra plate in the rear face, and rests against 2 additional plates on the bottom.

@AxleIke going to work...
IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Phase 2 was adding recovery points. My plan here was to repurpose some URB's I purchased a few years ago for the GX from Treaty Oak... they are supposed to mount vertically along the frame but I wound up getting a new bumper instead, which rendered them unnecessary. So they have been kicking around my workbench for a while, and were up for a new task. I was able to drill through both the new plate and old frame, so the bolts for this just help further sandwich all that together.

Not sure everyone knows the "drill on the floor jack" trick, but it's a real shoulder saver.
IMG_0267.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
And some finished pics of the recovery points. Of course painted to match the bumperettes, rims, etc... and the back of the frame received a little touch-up also. I mean, c'mon.. 40's gotta look good.

IMG_0273.jpg
IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0276.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I know they suggest you use a bridle for these points, which I'll likely do in most cases unless the situation doesn't lend itself well to that.. but I'm always up for sharing the load and a little mechanical sympathy. I can also use these points for my trailer chains now

IMG_0278.jpg

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
Nice Work Tim.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Dude that looks awesome.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Love those new recovery points. I’m super glad we didn’t find any old factory ones in the parts bins. Those are WAY better looking!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Love those new recovery points. I’m super glad we didn’t find any old factory ones in the parts bins. Those are WAY better looking!
Yes agreed! I had an old hook in my hand actually then stumbled across these while looking for hardware... psyched I still had them as I have a habit of losing/giving things away lately. Thanks again for renting out your super bomber fab skills! :geek:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Anytime good sir!

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I managed to have the opportunity to check out this rig while I was picking up my gear bags at Tim's this morning. It's so freakin' cool, and Tim's one hell of a good dude. :cool: (y)

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
That looks really nice! And more importantly functional.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So in 2015 when I did the tub, I was pretty sure I'd knock out the rest of the hard top in a year or so. Well fast forward to 2022 and I still hadn't gotten to it. In hindsight it was still a good decision though, as this stuff takes just so much time to do well, and to tackle a ton of work just means everything either takes longer, or you get impatient and start taking short cuts. I tend to get impatient.

Anyway I took the 40 to Cruise Moab in 2022, and made some time to finally replace my dented front fender, and while doing so painted the front doors. So that got a little update in April of this year.. while I was at it I also redid my half doors, as they had a terrible paint job so needed some refreshing. The added bonus on this round was getting paint- I had the old paint from 2015, but the color shifted on it and it was too dark... so I spent about 3 weeks going back and forth with Russel at Napa in Broomfield, who got pretty close but ultimately told me this is as good as it's going to get, and he sent me away with some paint, and a few pigments, basically said if I think it's too dark put some yellow in it, if it gets too light put some black in it... well I did my best mad scientist impression and got it as close as I could, here are the results:

IMG_6166.jpg
IMG_6166.jpg
IMG_6169.jpg
IMG_6170.jpg
IMG_6172.jpg
IMG_6173.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
When I bolted the front fender on the 40 wouldn't start. In a panic I texted @rover67, who instinctively told me to check the ground on the coil. that's funny, this is the second time I've done this now (first was the 60). Basically what you do is, spray a whole bunch of paint onto a fender, then bolt up the coil, and the coil no longer makes a good ground connection to the fender. So I "fixed" it the same way I fixed the 60, which is by running a dedicated ground cable from the coil to the frame. It's the red one below... not OEM spec, but I kind of like it as I know it's solving the issue, plus I've got an extra battery cable in the mix should I ever run into a field repair issue that calls for one... :weld:

IMG_6178.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
that gets us up to date within the lasts couple of weeks. I decided this was the year to finally get to the hard top, so I pulled that out of the shed last weekend to assess, start taking it apart, removing windows, etc. For added motivation, I also decided to lead the 40's only run, and figured a shiny olive 40 would be a nice treat to have on that day, so why not start into some major body work 2 weeks before the run. I had forgotten about the dents on the lower edges of the quarter panels, forgotten about a couple other rust spots also, underestimated just how much time this was going to take. But I'm committed now so I'm going for it. Oh, and I still need paint, so I searched the forum here and was reminded I started this conversation in the "what's my paint code" thread... https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/whats-my-paint-code.23219/

Spoiler if you don't want to read that thread is that I ultimately got more paint, and it's a good match. But interesting I had to go back 7 years to get a suggestion from Jason to try a different Napa... which put me back in touch with the guy who originally matched my paint. I think that's kind of serendipitous.

Ok on to the pics. here's a bunch of hard top pieces all laid out in various stages of bondo, primer, and sanding...
IMG_7515.jpg

This is what they look like hanging in the garage, ready to release the fumes into the neighborhood:

IMG_7559.jpg

And this is what they look like after.

IMG_7560.jpg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I need to do this sooo bad. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I got it all bolted together tonight, literally finished about an hour ago. I think I have around 40 hours into this hard top refresh; about 10 today, solid 12 yesterday, had a couple half days this past week and then last weekend was at least 10. And what's scary is I'm actually better at it than I used to be, and it still takes forever.

Pic of the first body panel in place...
IMG_7561.jpg

With a front door added...
IMG_7562.jpg

I'm either terrible at the "string method" for windows, or my string is too big, or my gaskets are too old. I tried the string on the first door window and just kept tearing the gasket. So the next fastest window install method was me hold the window while my son Gavin pries the seal into place with a screwdriver. he actually got pretty good at it... didn't scratch anything either. But it took most of the afternoon to get the windows in, doors on, then well into the evening getting the cap bolted on, I had to use a ratchet to get things to line up, but that's kinda typical on these. I ordered a new head liner from CruiserCorps, but those guys are notorious for taking forever to actually ship anything so I didn't bother waiting to put the cap on. that'll be its own project. Same with painting the top- for now it's just plasti dipped so it looks fresh & clean, at some point I want to paint it though, but not this week.

Other mods I'm working on is I took the roll bar out to get more interior room, and I'm going to swap the '72 jump seats from the trailer into this, so I can haul more 8th graders. I also want to lower it by pulling a leaf from each of the packs, and I'm going to get my OG rims powder coated Cygnus white then slap those on here with some new tires. These gray rims & hub caps will then go to the trailer. But all in good time, for today I've got a hard top again for the first time in a few years so it's kinda like a new truck.
I'll get some daylight pics tomorrow...