• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

4 Runner mods in 2022 (?)

PhillyB77

Thought to put this out to the group, I realize this really isn't a build but more of a bolt on but you all know more than I do. I make that statement because well...guys be like "my AR Build" but really what they mean is buying stuff and attaching it, unless they truly are machining parts. Just my AR gripe, doesn't apply here.

Generally speaking. Function and cool factor. If I wanted only function I'd buy a POS HMMWV and keep throwing money at that raggedy thing (sorry I'm biased).

2022 Ideas
1- Bumper / Winch combo
2- Top rack
3- Suspension (maybe)

Bumper Winch:

Option 1: Fab Fours
Pro: I like FF stuff, have their bumpers on my truck, price and availability is good
Con: Kinda blocky, doesn't appear to be fully integrated

Option 2: C4
Pro: Man this thing looks good, fully integrated with winch / light blah blah.
Con: 14 week lead time, also does not come powder coated

Top Rack: No ideas yet. But limited space in the back of the 4 Runner for items I want to keep outside, gas cans or compressors, self recovery, etc. Want something with a lot of tie down points and solid build but doesn't have to be fancy.

Suspension: Not really sure I want a lift as I like the look and stance of the stock TRD. Also know that the stock Fox stuff is probably not as good as aftermarket, would like something good that can easily be replaced.

I feel like with all of the above it would be a good move in 2022, let me know your thoughts on some or all.

Thanks

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
You might ought to take a look at Gamiviti for a roof rack. Tim is the club Secretary @nakman and he has quality stuff.

(y)

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
I haven’t installed a FF semi hidden, but I have installed 5-6 other brands. The Artec is by far my favorite. Installation is very smooth, and the bumper hides the cut lines better than any others I’ve installed.

For the roof rack, I love the up top overland stuff. They really make a great looking roof rack. A little more involved on the assembly side.

On the suspension, I’d just use the factory stuff till it wears out. If you were to pull it off, it’s only worth about $500. So use it till it wears out and then replace it.

Darren Boivin

Brand New
Almost all of the winch mount bumbers are the same as far as installation. If you like a particular product, but the wait time is long, jut wait it out. You’ll end up kicking yourself later. I went with the Smittybuilt 10K, synthetic rope winch. Price was on point and it has good reviews

I have a Prinsu rack. I went with Prinsu because of its low profile and abundance of accessories. Installation was about an hour. Once again, almost all of these modular racks are the same in basic design. I like the looks of the Alpha rack by UpTop. Not sure of wind noise with the larger fairing.

The Fox suspension is a slight upgrade from stock. If your not looking at lifting as of yet, just stick with what you have. As you add more weight and start hitting more trails, you may find that your current set up isn’t adequate. I have SPC upper control arms and ToyTech 2.5’s (RadFlo’s) all around. Talk with the various shops to see what’s right for you.

Something that wasn’t mentioned is protection. Skid plates and rock sliders are very important. The factory skids are not enough for our Rocky terrain. Check out RCI in Ft Collins.