4.88 IFS diff fits 86-95 truck/4Runner

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Obtained from reputable source for a project truck, since sold. Factory 4.88. Ready to install. In plastic tub, good condition.

$100 OBO, make it go away!

tree oh tree 906 one 359 (cell)
Littleton CO.

Myredyota

Trail Ready
Bill,
Front or rear? V-6? I would love to get my gas mileage back! 4.56's and 33's aren't bad for around town, but 4.88's would be better!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Front, Carey. I-4 or V6 are the same there. I can set up your rear if you like.
If you are interested, I will put you first in line - I have it posted on other forums and am getting nibbles from VA and TX, but would rather sell it to you.

Myredyota

Trail Ready
Bill.
Just got home from work. This is very tempting. I am thinking this is just going to open a can of worms. Can you say locker and gears for the rear? This may lead to too much $ for a "Mall Crawler!" I can definitely say that I got my hopes up without really thinking it through. I better pass.:(

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Aw crum. Carey, think about it. You won't find a front solution for cheaper, and you have a guy who offered to set up your rear for beer. :lmao:

You cannot beat that. Plus I bet Shorty will help install the front. 4.88s and 33s will make it like a new truck. Perfect. For street or trail (I use the rear locker fairly often in the winter, on the street, and I don't drive a light rear'ed pickup!!).

Myredyota

Trail Ready
Wanna trade for a Toyota Clinometer?:D I guess I could start hording parts....wonder if Peg would notice?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Chipping away at wanted/needed mods by accumulating parts is a time-honored, fiscally responsible method!

Uh... that clinometer wouldn't be gray in color by chance, would it?

edit: aw, I better stick to my plan. Gotta buy a vacuum cleaner. :hurl: :bawl:

edit2: on the other hand, scratch the beer, I'll set up your rear gears for it or sumthin'

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Just buy the 4.88 IFS front.

Carey:

33s are the perfect tire size for an IFS mini truck.
4.88s are the perfect gear for 33s.

If you need more than 33" tall tires to have a good time, it is time for the Solid axle swap.
If you need a front locker to have a good time, time for the solid axle swap.

So, buy Bill's 4.88 front diff and stock pile it until you find a great deal on a rear 4.88 or buy the 4.88gears/kit and have Bill re-gear your existing diff with you.

factory 4.88 rear 3rd member is fine too since you will never want to run >4.88s until you SAS it.

Sell off your pair of 4.56s and use the money to buy a lockright for the rear or put the money towards an ARB. Even the factory 4.88 will accept a lockright or the ARB just fine.

Want a tiny bit more traction for only a few bux? Put a junkyard Supra 7.5" Limited Slip carrier into the front diff. Only cost $25. No, it won't help when you lift a tire in the rocks, but it will help on dirt/snow.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
About 50% of the time I love my 5.29/33. That 50% of the time is when I see blue sky from through the windshield. The 50% of the time I hate is when I see flatness in the windshield. So times when I'm shuffling to and fro Denver & St. Louis I hate the 5.29 gears. The time when I am in Colorado I fall in love all over again my Japanese version of a Dodge Power Wagon. As things settle back to normal with my dad I am spending less time seeing Kansas, so my five-dos-niner love is quickly returning.

I also use my front locker enough to make it useful, mostly because the purpose of my truck is solo travel and getting stuck is (a) a major PITA and (2) a minor PITA. Yeah, I would not die, but yah know, leaving a truck means it likely will be partially or all gone by the time I could get back up there. I agree that if lockers are there mostly for fun then doing a front locker in an IFS is probably like putting cream cheese on your waffles. Sure, it works and will for a while, but eventually you wonder why you just don't use butter like normal people. But then you remember that cream cheese is smooth and you start to miss it when you're always at the dentist to fix the butter-broken fillings. And besides, butter tears up your waffles where cream cheese is pure silverwear joy to spread.

Now that I'm collecting stuff for the winch the front locker use might go down, but generally about once or twice a winter I'm chained up on all 4, crossing fingers and toes that I can make it back to a road-like surface and home again. Imelda has not let me down yet! And I agree, the Supra LSD is the best value option, but whutayagonnado? Somebody has to give that 7.5" IFS Aussie diff machinist something do once in a while.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Sell off your pair of 4.56s and use the money to buy a lockright for the rear or put the money towards an ARB. Even the factory 4.88 will accept a lockright or the ARB just fine.
Carey, your 4.56 front should bring about... oh... $100. Or a bit more. So when you swap it you are net nothing.

I forget, do you have a V6 rear or an I-4? I am remembering a V6...

Myredyota

Trail Ready
Wow where do I start? Yes it is grey! Yes I have a V-6. Yes the 4.56's would be up for sale after the swap. I am thinking about an Aussie in the rear. With as little 4 wheeling I actually get to do, SAS is not in the cards. 4.88's and a little more armor will have to do!

Bill, let me make a phone call tomorrow (Friday) and I will PM you when I get home from work.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
:thumb:

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Sweet :thumb: congrats! you'll love it.

Myredyota

Trail Ready
Thanks Justin, I have to clean a shelf off to store this thing now! Wonder what parts I can sell in the mean time to make room and $!!!:D