3rd Gen 4runner Steering Rack Replacement

Chazz

Rising Sun Member
I recently acquired a 3rd gen 4runner with a broken steering rack. The previous owner split it in half!
IMG_4110.jpg

I would prefer OEM, but going with an aftermarket part saves me around $400. Has anyone had luck with an aftermarket rack?
This car is lifted ~3". Is the increased angle in the tie rods something that needs attention?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I recently acquired a 3rd gen 4runner with a broken steering rack. The previous owner split it in half!
View attachment 130118
I would prefer OEM, but going with an aftermarket part saves me around $400. Has anyone had luck with an aftermarket rack?
This car is lifted ~3". Is the increased angle in the tie rods something that needs attention?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Aftermarket is going to have crappy inner tie rods that will wear fast. It's worth it to go new oem with this part frankly. If I don't end up finding a buyer for my wrecked 3rd Gen I will be parting it and will have a rack with probably 15k on it to sell.

As for the lift I don't think that has any effect on tie rods or certainly not as much as ball joints.

Chazz

Rising Sun Member
Aftermarket is going to have crappy inner tie rods that will wear fast. It's worth it to go new oem with this part frankly. If I don't end up finding a buyer for my wrecked 3rd Gen I will be parting it and will have a rack with probably 15k on it to sell.

As for the lift I don't think that has any effect on tie rods or certainly not as much as ball joints.
Good info! Let me know if you end up parting it out.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
If you want to save a few bucks the factory reman rack *I think* is 44250-35042-84. Should be about $200 cheaper than a new one. But the core charge is $250 and getting that back probably requires it be possible to rebuild the old one and that one is, well, uh, not.

Last edited:

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I had over 200k miles on my rack when I replaced it, probably should have replaced it around 190k. But! That is a lot more miles than an after market one will give you.
No measurable extra stress due to the lift. The rod ends have enough play in them to cover the range.
As Dave mentioned, a reman is cheaper and if you want a spent rack that is still rebuildable, I have one sitting in my garage near Boulder! You can have it for the low cost of come and get it.
Also consider that you will want any bushings that don't come on the rack when you buy it.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I had over 200k miles on my rack when I replaced it, probably should have replaced it around 190k. But! That is a lot more miles than an after market one will give you.
No measurable extra stress due to the lift. The rod ends have enough play in them to cover the range.
As Dave mentioned, a reman is cheaper and if you want a spent rack that is still rebuildable, I have one sitting in my garage near Boulder! You can have it for the low cost of come and get it.
Also consider that you will want any bushings that don't come on the rack when you buy it.
Same offer of you are closer to Littleton, you can have my previous rack for the same price.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
BTW Charlie, do you know how the rack housing was broken?
This! There may be other issues that need addressed if that was impact related. I have never seen a rack separate like that!
If you plan to be at the expo this weekend, I could bring the rack down to you. I may have some other bits and bobs as well. I will have to rifle through some boxes if you plan to be there.

Chazz

Rising Sun Member
BTW Charlie, do you know how the rack housing was broken?
Previous owner said it broke while he was driving to work... I'm a bit skeptical that's what actually happened.
The truck has 282k miles on it, so if that's the original steering rack it would be old and worn.

I won't be at the Expo this weekend unfortunately.

BC9392

Rising Sun Member
FYI:
A post of Toyota 4runner forum by Timmy the Toolman:

I've watched a video of the process. It looks like a real pain in the arse. I'm obviously all for DIY repairs, because I make DIY videos for my Timmy the Toolman YouTube channel. But, some jobs, like the one you're inquiring about, looks like one of those with limited benefit once you factor in the cost of a quality rebuild kit (from Toyota, and not aftermarket like you're considering from Rock Aut0) and the time you are going to invest into it. Also, like @gamefreakgc mentioned, a new OEM rack comes with new OEM inner tie rods which are very expensive.

My two cents is buy an OEM rack and forget about the rebuild. Like @brillo_76 mentioned, once Toyota discontinues selling them, then it might be prudent to rebuild it, because from my experience, aftermarket racks are junk and don't last worth a shit.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
FYI:
A post of Toyota 4runner forum by Timmy the Toolman:

I've watched a video of the process. It looks like a real pain in the arse. I'm obviously all for DIY repairs, because I make DIY videos for my Timmy the Toolman YouTube channel. But, some jobs, like the one you're inquiring about, looks like one of those with limited benefit once you factor in the cost of a quality rebuild kit (from Toyota, and not aftermarket like you're considering from Rock Aut0) and the time you are going to invest into it. Also, like @gamefreakgc mentioned, a new OEM rack comes with new OEM inner tie rods which are very expensive.

My two cents is buy an OEM rack and forget about the rebuild. Like @brillo_76 mentioned, once Toyota discontinues selling them, then it might be prudent to rebuild it, because from my experience, aftermarket racks are junk and don't last worth a shit.
This is the exact conclusion I came to about DIY rebuild. I literally payed 50 more for a brand new rack than the cost of just the inners would have been. I would go to Groove and ask for the club discount, probably will find it cheaper there than online.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I would go to Groove and ask for the club discount, probably will find it cheaper there than online.
He's in Bozeman so a quick trip to Groove isn't quick.