3rd Gen 4runner Re-gear

Kramer

New-ish
Looking to do 4.88 gears in my 1998 4Runner, 3.4, automatic with E-locker

Does anyone have experience using 2nd Gen diffs? I found a 1993 4runner, V6, automatic with tow package parting out.
I believe these had 4.88's from the factory if they have the G144 axle code inside the door frame.

Questions:

-Can I straight swap the 2nd gen FRONT diff straight into my 3rd gen and be done with the front? (Keeping it open, no locker) CV's and all else fit?

-Is it then easier to re-gear my 3rd gen diff to 4.88 or swap my e-locker over to the 2nd gen diff? Everything else fits and all is the same?

Hope I am asking the right questions here

Thanks in advance!

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The rear axle in a 3rd gen is wider than 2gen. I'm not sure about the front diff.

Personally I'd just regear the 3rd gen stuff...

one way to do it would be ordering from East Coast Gear Supply. They can send you regeared diffs and you can send them the cores back after your done.

Kramer

New-ish
Trying to do on a budget. I can buy these diffs for pretty cheap
I think the differentials are interchangeable.

Leaning towards swapping the front to the second gen and gearing my 3rd gen for the rear.
Just wondering how common this is and if anyone from here has done it

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Know that the factory 4.88 (G144) that came on V6, auto, 31" trucks is a special case. In the back (8" end) they are what's known as thin gear sets and the pinion on the case is slightly offset.

So the rear gears and third members are unique to G144. You can (or could, probably not anymore) only get replacement gears from Toyota for them ($$$$$). The aftermarket 4.88 sets are the right thickness to work in third members that were 3.73 to 4.56 from the factory.

The front diff is AFAIK the same as any other from the era.

But the third members and axles are not the same between a 86-95 truck and 96+ trucks, They are both 7.5" rings so the gears might fit, so wouldn't they then be reverse cut from the right set? The carriers might be the same, that I don't know.

CV axles are not similar at all. 1996+ stab in the sides and the 86-95 are stud flanges. Newer is driver side drop clamshell and the older trucks were passenger sided drop and looked more normal. The way they mount to the subframe is completely different. The hub side of the CVs is also completely different. The 95 and older trucks had loose taper bearings and worked basicly like solid axle trucks. The 96+ use cartridge bearings and hub assemblies.

Hi-Trac (86-95)
hitracfrontdiff.jpg

hitraccase.jpg

Tacoma
tacomafrontdiff.jpg

tacomaclamshell.jpg

tacomaclamshell2.jpg

At this point I'd have to think G144 gears and diffs are pretty worn out, I'd just get a new set of gears for the diff you have now personally.

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Know that the factory 4.88 (G144) that came on V6, auto, 31" trucks is a special case. In the back (8" end) they are what's known as thin gear sets and the pinion on the case is slightly offset.

So the rear gears and third members are unique to G144. You can (or could, probably not anymore) only get replacement gears from Toyota for them ($$$$$). The aftermarket 4.88 sets are the right thickness to work in third members that were 3.73 to 4.56 from the factory.

The front diff is AFAIK the same as any other from the era.

But the third members and axles are not the same between a 86-95 truck and 96+ but they are both 7.5" rings so the gears might work. The carriers might be the same, that I don't know. CV axles are not similar at all. 1996+ stab in the sides and the 86-95 are stud flanges. Newer is driver side drop and the older trucks were passenger sided drop. The way they mount to the subframe is completely different.

Hi-Trac (86-95)
View attachment 126622

Tacoma
View attachment 126623

At this point I'd have to think G144 gears and diffs are pretty worn out, I'd just get a new set of gears for the diff you have now personally.
Driver and Passenger drop are what i was forgetting.
No way can you swap the front diffs between the two.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Driver and Passenger drop are what i was forgetting.
No way can you swap the front diffs between the two.
Yeah, not remotely similar. Plus I was thinking wouldn't one turn opposite of the other,? So the gears wouldn't be interchangeable since you'd load the coast side. If I'm not mistaken the front 7.5" diff on a 86-95 truck was essentially the same guts as a 2WD truck rear and the diff itself was the one from a Supra.

Kramer

New-ish

These are the main reasons I thought it was possible

Funjunkie's video was the first I had seen it was possible. Maybe I am missing something. I should have specified I thought I could swap the front 3rd member and not the whole diff.

Maybe I'm all wrong, I'll have a closer look but I believe you all in saying just re-gear current setup.

Thanks all for the replies!!!

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Funjunkie's video was the first I had seen it was possible. Maybe I am missing something. I should have specified I thought I could swap the front 3rd member and not the whole diff.

Maybe I'm all wrong, I'll have a closer look but I believe you all in saying just re-gear current setup.

the big problem is the driver drop vs the passenger drop when it comes to the front diffs.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

You could swap in the whole rear 8" third member from a G144 truck. But the housing and gears are unique so if you ever need to replace them you can only source them from Toyota. You *cannot* use aftermarket 4.88 gears in a G144 3rd member and other Toyota OEM gears won't work either.

So it's a cheap solution but a dead end one as far as future replacement. You're better off IMO finding a standard V6 housing to use, which is what you have already with an e-locker housing. Then you can regear to whatever ratio you want in aftermarket gears.

The front third members are not at all similar between a truck that had 4.88 gears (e.g. 1988 to 1995) and 3rd gen 4Runners. You might be able to cannibalize guts like the gears and maybe carrier to put into your housing but there's nothing special about stock gears that justify that much work over a brand new set of Yukon or otherwise.