3B rebuilder semi-local?

pskhaat

Lifted
There's about a 2.71% chance I'll get this, but I am trying to get a BJ60 with a bad 3B. Apparently it needs to be resleaved and rebuilt. I'm not aware of any shop that would do this locally. In that super low-chance opportunity, is there anyone who would do this that you'd advise?

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If Joe will take it on I can recommend him highly:

pskhaat

Lifted
If Joe will take it on I can recommend him highly:

Ahhh....not sure why I didn't think about CTS, as they've done work for me in the past. Great reminder.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Let me know how it goes, I may soon need someone to install a turbo in a 3B

wesintl

RS Moderator
If you pull the block any machine shop should be able to press in sleeves and put a block together for you. Or truck it down to overland cruisers in Tucson. Onur knows what to do. It's getting harder to get 3b parts

DanS

Rising Sun Member
If you pull the block any machine shop should be able to press in sleeves and put a block together for you. Or truck it down to overland cruisers in Tucson. Onur knows what to do. It's getting harder to get 3b parts
Absolutely this.

We rebuilt ours, it's easy. The hard part is finding parts. Onur is the man for that. Plus, his 3B ran so good after he rebuilt it!

Dan

lazyLfarm

Wincher
Absolutely this.

We rebuilt ours, it's easy. The hard part is finding parts. Onur is the man for that. Plus, his 3B ran so good after he rebuilt it!

Dan
Are you being facetious here? His 3B crapped the bed in less than 5k after rebuild.

He’s currently putting a 1PZ in as he’s done with the 3B.

Pretty positive the machine shop did shoddy work, so it wasn’t onurs work. He used all OEM parts on a $$$$ rebuild. Machine work is everything.

I rebuilt my 13BT and had a fantastic machine shop guy in a small town do the work. Super meticulous and made sure everything was done right. A bit grumpy but does excellent work. He’s in ogallala Nebraska of all places but mainly works on small and large diesel. Small being Isuzu 4bd like they use on irrigation pivots.

lazyLfarm

Wincher
As in done with all 3Bs because they're just too much nowadays or that particular one?
Sounds like In general. For sure his, but he regularly posts to people not to spend money on a 3b. Underpowered, old, parts getting scarce and a Terrible fit for todays roads.

Sure there are lots of people that still use them, but in reality they are pretty terrible on the highway, and way worse at elevation or in the mountains. Turbo is the remedy, but you are playing with fire with a 3b and a turbo IMO. Some have had good luck, I’m not all doom and gloom.

If you got a hell of a deal on one, I’d say do it and accept it for what it is if you want a project.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like In general. For sure his, but he regularly posts to people not to spend money on a 3b. Underpowered, old, parts getting scarce and a Terrible fit for todays roads.

This is absolutely correct. Despite the fact that it crapped out, it ran well for a while. But in general, a 3B isn't one I'd spend much time or money on, just because parts are so tough and there's better, more reliable ways to get better power and still get parts for a long time.

If you got a hell of a deal on one, I’d say do it and accept it for what it is if you want a project.

Fully agreed. Our 3B has been great....after we rebuilt it. And it's in a pretty light 40 and rarely goes more than 55mph. But my 45 has a 1HZ sitting around for it....

Dan

wesintl

RS Moderator
I’d buy a 3b and rebuild it. I love the 3b. It’s my favorite Lc motor save 13bt. Killer mileage, way more so than the pz or hz. simple, reliable, good power, torque.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I’d buy a 3b and rebuild it. I love the 3b. It’s my favorite Lc motor save 13bt. Killer mileage, way more so than the pz or hz. simple, reliable, good power, torque.
Remind me to actually come to a meeting someday and chat with you about my BJ73 and 3B options. :)