3 Speed Transfer Case or 4 speed linkages

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Sorry for the long background...

I am getting ready to start the project to upgrade to the 4 speed transmission. For this project, I'd like to minimize the amount of time my truck is out of service, TheBoomBoom's little brother drives the 40 and I don't want him getting used to driving my Lexus:eek:.

To achieve this, I'm going to put together an F engine, bellhousing/clutch, 4 speed transmission and transfer case; either the t-case from the junk yard or a 3 speed t-case with vacuum actuator. Then with everything assembled, pull the current engine, tranmsission and t-case and put in the new. It is a bunch of work, but it allows me to keep the truck running while I plug away at getting everything ready for the swap. Fact is, I am not the fastest wrench and just need to get this done in this way.

I know there is a lower ratio on the 3 speed case and that the 4 speed tranny/3 speed tcase combo is most often the route people take in this situation. That said, if I can find linkages and shifter for my 4speed t-case I would be ok going that route and using the t-case from the junk yard. I would also be just as ok if I could find a 3 speed t-case with vacuum actuator. The key being I need to source either a 3 speed t-case or 4 speed linkages.

Does anyone have a 3 speed t-case w/ vacuum actuator sitting in their spare parts inventory? Or 4 speed t-case linkages and shifter?

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
I took my spare 4 spd/TC unit over to Profitt's since they gave me $250 trade-in credit for it. But I can probably beg the shift linkage off of them if you really need it. It would be after CM though before I would have it.

I will also have a spare 4 spd transmission if anyone has a need for that.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Ricardo, I have an empty 4-speed transfer case shell you are welcome to. No linkages, but you can move all the 3-speed guts over to it. I'm home and working on the front steering knuckles tonight, if you want to come by.

Is your '72 set up for vacuum?

This is the vacuum setup you need:
072F.gif

This is the 4WD-2WD shifter setup you need:
072B.gif

or this is the 4-speed hi-lo and 2WD-4WD shifter setup you need:
074B.gif

If you're not running a front locker and will stay in 4WD off-road, I would say go with the mechanical shift lever setup from the later 4-speed. It will work with a 3-speed transfer case, mechanical shifter. Much simpler and probably easier to find. :D

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
you're missing the floorshift three speed linkages, chris;)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Ricardo, for all the work you're outlining, why not just go 2F with 4 speed Trans/TC and drop it all in and be done?

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the offer of the case Chris, but to keep with my plan of minimizing down time it wouldn't work to well to be pulling the innards from the t-case in my truck and then put them into another case;). I'm not that quick of a wrench.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Ricardo, for all the work you're outlining, why not just go 2F with 4 speed Trans/TC and drop it all in and be done?

Well, that is sort of what I'm going to do. The engine I've got lined up is not a 2F, but for my circumstance and needs it is a good deal. If I find the 4 speed t-case linkages and shifter, then I will be going with the 4 speed Trans/TC.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
But I can probably beg the shift linkage off of them if you really need it.

Thanks for the offer Randy. If I'm not successful in finding a 3 spd t-case or 4 spd linkages/shifter with this thread, I may take you up on it.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the offer Randy. If I'm not successful in finding a 3 spd t-case or 4 spd linkages/shifter with this thread, I may take you up on it.

4-speed tranny & transfer case with the shift linkages would be the easiest. Timmbuck2 should have something I would think. Cut a hole in the tub for them, if you have to. Later you can put in an Orion. :D

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Hi Ricardo, I have a used 3 speed t-case you can have for the $50 I paid for it. You've seen it in my parts closet, it came with a 3-speed tranny attached to it. Swapping the vacuum actuator over from your 71 while both are out would be quick and fit with your minimal downtime requirement. No matter what t-case you use I'd still kit it beforehand.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
I've got a few leads on the parts I need. There was a request to see what it is that I have on the 4 speed to better understand what parts are needed. Here is what I've got.

w_tcaselinkage.jpg

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I might have some transmission shifter levers if you need one.