• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

2F voltage regulator - need today if possible!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Looking to pick up a voltage regulator for a 2F alternator today if possible - see photo below for example. Parts stores don’t have them. D&D doesn’t have one and is 4-5 days out on ordering one.

I have a low voltage/no charge/low charge issue that I’ve chased upstream to the engine bay - it can only be one a few things. If a replacement VR doesn’t do the trick at least I’d have a spare. Thanks y’all!

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
The voltage regulator is internal to the alternator, is it not?

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I was wondering about a clarification, too. Internal on a 3FE I think, external on 2F?
Both external but attached on top of the alternator as far as I’ve seen. Not like a 40 where it’s offboard. The 3FE VR is just clocked differently than the 2F, but it should still mount up to the 2F alt just fine.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
86DEBD67-CADA-465B-A8A7-1698D265987F.jpeg

This is a 2F alt. On the 3FE alts I’ve Seen, the VR is closer to (and interferes with) that coolant hose in the background. Same VR, same screw locations, just different clocking.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Jim, I'm not sure what 3FE alts you have seen with external VRs but the OEM 3FE alt does have an internal VR. Double checked my FSM to be sure but they are definitely internal.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Jim, I'm not sure what 3FE alts you have seen with external VRs but the OEM 3FE alt does have an internal VR. Double checked my FSM to be sure but they are definitely internal.
I stand corrected. The 3-4 I've seen were maybe anomalies, or else Toyota had made some mid-model micro changes (as they sometimes did).

Still in search of a 2F VR in any case!

bvb

2F is a screwed on regulator ( square block on the side), 3F has a internal regulator requiring removal of the rear case to replace the regulator.

bvb

iMO: More often than not the brushes wear down and need replaced before regulators quit working. Good time foe a inspection.😜

simps80

Rising Sun Member
B30849E1-2E8E-4E43-A906-EF913F43579E.jpeg

I bought this nib oem external for one of the fj40s don’t remember which one…
You can buy it if you want but don’t think it is what you need

But iirc 1979 and up 2f was internally regulated
And certainly all 3f were.

Also like Bill said
The problems I have chased were never the external VR
Which is why I still have this new in box oem VR

bvb

2F, 3F and 1FZ all “IC” regulated(integrated circuit) alts.
1663889075363.jpeg

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the clarification @bvb!

Since it was rebuilt last year I did not suspect brushes. I called D and D and they called me back - the guy scrounged up a VR. Got up there this afternoon and it works!

Another win for D & D Auto Electric in Wheat Ridge.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@simps80 maybe my nomenclature is off. The thing I replaced with Doug at D&D is this piece on top, the “S L F” piece.

The ones that I have seen that I erroneously thought were 3FE alts were nearly the same, but that piece was clocked differently. The green connector on the back of mine has two contacts, whereas the differenly-clocked ones had three. Not sure what those came out of. Maybe 1985-1987 60s after the mid-model tweaks.

F3088407-1FC7-495F-8A82-1465E21D3BDF.jpeg