• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

29er Cross Country Tires

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'm shopping for a set of XC tires for Bridger's new hardtail. Probably in a 2.25" width. Weight is a concern but not too much to blow durability out of the picture. He is not racing but just is not a powerhouse yet. So any advantage on the climbs is a plus. Under 700g. His old bike had a set of Schwalbe Rock Ron's on it in a 26x2.1" Never had a flat and he got 2 years out of those tire with tread to spare. Should probably just do that again however Schwalbe's are expensive.

I've been looking at:

Vittoria Barzo
Schwalbe Rocket Rons
Maxxis Ikon

Anyone run any of these or something else worth looking at? Durango trails are generally dry, rocky but not slabs. Rocks in-bedded into dirt/clay. When it gets really dry we get loose or dust on top of hard. He'll have a set of 27.5+ wheels with 2.8's for lift service or more rowdy descending trails.

r.swany

Rising Sun Member
I'm a big fan of Schwalbe and choose them whenever possible. Rocket Ron $$ on the front for lateral traction and and Racing Ralph $$$ on the back because they run a little smoother (but still have plenty of side bite for soft stuff).

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I pulled the trigger on the Vittoria Barzos tonight in the XC race casing. 29x2.25”

Price was probably the deciding factor. But that aside nearly all the reviews I read were very positive. At the shop I worked at in SLC we sold tons of Vittoria tires and I road a bunch all with satisfaction.

If price was no object I’d probably choose the Schwalbes.

Now I guess I’ll change gears into wasting countless hours deciding what I want on my bike. Currently Maxxis Minion DHF and Aggressor combo.