• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

2020 Rally in September? Toyota Trails shows date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Saw this in Toyota Trails. I am assuming this is wishful thinking and not a real date.

IMG_1460.jpeg

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
That's news to me.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Wishful thinking.... doesn’t look like it’ll be easy to have a event anywhere near here without a lot of hoops.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
September 21-22 is a Monday, and Tuesday (Last year it was 21-22 Saturday, and Sunday). They just posted the wrong year....

Oneops

Seeing this in Toyota trails for this year too! Is there a Rally?!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Y’all can feel free to use my time machine if you really want to go back to 2020! Just give me a couple days heads up - I gotta get it warmed up.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Holy Old thread resurrection.

Anyway, the parking lot and perhaps some inside space at 120 Capital Drive Golden, CO 80401 is available for rally use. Plenty of adjacent street parking in the business park. The property was just acquired by https://gofsr.com/ Freespirit Recreation.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It would be cool to do the Rally again!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Swap meet. Some years we have held the swap meet on Saturday and done a few runs on Sunday.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
As I posted in the Sunday wheeling thread, historically I lead Bill Moore the Sunday after the Rally, the last weekend of August. I think pandemic-wise, there's no reason we can't have our annual Rally. I think we just need someone to step up and organize it. When I used to organize the Rally, I found it to be about 1/10 the time and effort as organizing Cruise Moab, not a huge job at all.

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
A Rally sounds good I think the last one in the parking lot was great and good turn out. Depending when it is cause I'm traveling Sep Oct some. I'd try to help with org if I'm around then. My 2 pennies... Thanx

Oneops

So ahhhh yeah… I’m in town scrambling to finish a drain, concrete work and then crushed concrete driveway deal along with some vehicles winter prep so I couldn’t organize much but willing to help were I can. Or we going 2022 for this good time?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
In lieu of the Rally this year, we are planning to do a swap meet at the next Rising Sun club meeting on Wed. Oct. 6, 2021. We're planning to start early to maximize daylight. Details will be published here on the forum soon!

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
I would love for this to happen this year.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I would love for this to happen this year.
So as someone who orginized the last one, I don’t think it’s worth it with club funds. The turn out at the last one for the amount of work wasn’t great, and with 3 trail cleanups and a busy summer, I think the transition to moving this to a club meet up worked great last year. We did it as a Wednesday night for a regular club meeting.

I think the purpose this used to serve before the club had a forum where people can list items they want to sell makes sense. But the same people who do a lot for the club get stuck organizing this and spending there time making this happen. When I asked for volunteers I had one person.

In my mind this is something that can be moved to a regular Wednesday night club meeting outside that does not require insurance, bathrooms, food.

I do understand there is a history of this event, but club interest from what Abe (organized it the year before I did) and I have seen isn’t that great.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
So as someone who orginized the last one, I don’t think it’s worth it with club funds. The turn out at the last one for the amount of work wasn’t great, and with 3 trail cleanups and a busy summer, I think the transition to moving this to a club meet up worked great last year. We did it as a Wednesday night for a regular club meeting.

I think the purpose this used to serve before the club had a forum where people can list items they want to sell makes sense. But the same people who do a lot for the club get stuck organizing this and spending there time making this happen. When I asked for volunteers I had one person.

In my mind this is something that can be moved to a regular Wednesday night club meeting outside that does not require insurance, bathrooms, food.

I do understand there is a history of this event, but club interest from what Abe (organized it the year before I did) and I have seen isn’t that great.
I both agree & disagree with Phillip's above statements. I think the club interest in attending is pretty good, but I think the club interest in making it happen, or even making it easy to make it happen, is dismal. Even things I suggested like having a pre approved budget for this event, like the snow & pizza run every year, were never implemented. It makes it like pulling teeth to get anything done, and you end up fronting a bunch of money on the assumption that you will get paid back (which you do, but there is always a risk). I also suggested many times back in the day that the club is too small to have multiple adopted trails & multiple annual runs/events & still expect this to be a great success (and then we adopted another trail instead). I still believe that. We're not even in summer yet & I bet it will be hard to find a free weekend to set this up on, and even then someone will want to split out members by doing a separate trail run & campout that weekend, etc....

Now rant & agreement aside, I have always seen the rally as a great way to get new people aware, interested & involved, and also spread a lot of education & such regarding gear, camping, stay the trail, etc.... And it also used to draw people in from all over the region, not just club members. The swap meet was nice, but was only a small part of the rally in the early days. As such, it was always one of my favorite club events, and I think it still could be. But if it is just going to keep dying on the vine & be a ton of work for very little return, it seems like Phillip is right on this one.

When we did it a few years back, we took over very late in the game so a lot of ideas we had didn't work out. But things I thought could be interesting, draw crowds & also be teachable moments were:

1. Some sort of demo or educational presentation every hour. Much like the Jack-it & recovery nights. Nothing huge, but something 15 minutes or more that teaches or entertains people.
2. As a part of the above, a camp cooking event. I don't recall who, but someone on here is a professional chef in Aspen or near there. If timing had worked, he was willing to do a thing around lunch with possibly recipes for easy trail cooking, and tips for prep both before & in camp & such. Along with this, I was hoping to do a camp cooking contest right around lunch. People sign up, bring & make their best, or most favorite camp meal, and then some panel judges them all. Attendees can donate a few bucks to a charity we choose to taste the cooked samples & get recipes & such.
3. Stay the Trail team & their related gear & presentations.
4. swap meet
5. raffle, or since we are scared of those now, how about donated items & a charity silent auction, or something similar?
6. perhaps like the Newbs run, people that are new to a Toyota truck could get paired up with someone in the club for a half hour that knows their rig to help teach them things about it.
7. Camp out & trail runs before or after depending on the day.

No matter what day you pick, someone will complain about having to work on a Saturday, or pro Football on a Sunday, as if there isn't a whole host of college games on Saturday. Unless we pick a weekend before Football season, but that gets tough due to the heat.

Anyway, a whole host of ideas, if they could work. Done properly I still think it is an awesome event & a fun day. But otherwise the club swap is probably almost as good & a whole lot easier.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Abe,

I totally agree but the buy in hasn’t been there, and I’m more interested in wheeling and flying on the weekends with good weather this summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.