2020 Cruise Moab Pre-Run

DaughterofMendo

Rising Sun Member
Hi all,
I noticed there has been some talk on the forum about this coming year's pre-run, I went last year and had a ton of fun (and learned some stuff too). Last year we did the pre-run the first weekend of April which was about a month out from Cruise Moab. I propose we go out to run some trails on the weekend of March 20th-22nd for this year. Brian graciously offered his backyard for us to camp on again which was awesome last year. Drivers who want to come can suggest trails they want to see before the event. Thoughts?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
POST #53 UPDATE (Posted 3/16/20) is as follows:

After private discussions, the planned attendees of the Cruise Moab 2020 pre-run are officially cancelling the "official" pre-run training trip.

The planned attendees are still discussing going. Some/none/all may still go, but in view of current events, we do not feel right having it organized as an "official" Rising Sun Club event or associated with the Club's Cruise Moab event. We are of course monitoring conditions and will obey all governmental orders.

Not to obfuscate, but rather to remove the possibility of any negative association with the Club and/or the Cruise Moab Committee, all of who are grappling with how the organization and event address this situation, we have moved all discussion to a private thread. We do not want to exclude anyone so if you PM me, I will add you.

Arrive Thursday night, run trails Friday and Saturday, and one Sunday AM. Talk about trail leading on the runs and at the campfires.
Read below for details and I will update here with list of attendees:

1) me, Inukshuk
2) Emma, DaughterofMendo
3) Ann, Mother of DaughterofMendo
4) Brian, Beachboy (and our camp host)
5) ChevyKeith
6) Ryan, gungriffin
7) Justin, Justin4045
8) Mike, BaileyFJ40
9) Greg, Yeti
10) Jimmy, J1000
11) Rob, X001AM

Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I added this to the RS Calendar as [Tentative].

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
It looks like I can participate in this now. I believe the Hamilton's will bring the 100 and the 200. Can we make these dates "official?"

I would be in for this once we have dates set.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I would like to make this. I have never led a trail before, but this will be the year that changes.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Getting healthy here and we'll get the weekend organized. We'll first set up camp Thursday night so we can run full days Friday and Saturday, and possibly one trail Sunday before home. In the AM we'll hold driver's meetings so you can see exactly how we do them at Cruise Moab. Each evening we will have leader talk, tips, war stories at camp. Plan to have at least one meal in the backyard. Maybe the brewery the other night. This will be work and fun. We will choose the trails to run based on what people want/need to learn and have people to lead. If its a trail no-one has run, we'll just get a map and run it! We can go as a large group or as small as two trucks on a trail. We'll cover a lot of ground. At camp we'll have access to Brian's indoor plumbing so long as we leave his home cleaner than when we arrived. Last year we helped plant a few trees and this year we will also ask what "manpower" chores we can take on while there. He's a GREAT host and longtime member.

I have been running/leading Cruise Moab trails for 16 years and my first trip to Moab was 1992. That said, its different every year and I learn as much from you as you might learn from those of us with experience. In a lot of ways the pre-runs have been as much fun as the actual event and I highly encourage attendance!

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
Already put in vacation time for this and will be leaving Thursday afternoon. Barring Bad weather. If bad weather I might have to work.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Yes, of course, the Brewery for one night is on me. Got to keep up the tradition. May be the last as I am becoming a snowbird next year.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Yes, of course, the Brewery for one night is on me. Got to keep up the tradition. May be the last as I am becoming a snowbird next year.
Snowbird! But your place is coming together so nicely!

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
I might be able to drive out Friday evening and run Saturday and Sunday with you. It doesn't look like I'll make it out to CM. :(

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey guys,

can we move this thread to our public are in the planning or CM section?

there are many leaders who are not members.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey guys, can we move this thread to our public are in the planning or CM section?
there are many leaders who are not members.
Done! (y)

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Bumping up this thread. Lets update the headcount and tell our leader/gunner friends. Looks like about 8 people or so. Lets reach more people.

Friday will be our most formal day. We have a thorough and proper pre-trail meeting as we do with all Cruise Moab runs. It will take about 30 minutes. Then we will figure out what trails to run and groups we split into. During the day everyone should be making notes for evening discussion items. Friday evening we'll eat at camp and spend a few hours at the campfire talking about the day, leading, gunning, etc.

The focus of this trip is learning trails, leading trails, and what makes a great trail leader.

A great trail leader is above all genuine and cares for their group.

Saturday morning we will again hold the pre-trail meeting and this time we'll break into small groups so many people who have never done the talk can practice. Then we will figure out what trails to run and groups we split into. During the day everyone should be making notes for evening discussion items. Saturday evening celebration dinner at the Brewery courtesy of our friend and gracious host.

Please post up here with topics you would like to see covered. We can talk about recovery, but its not a recovery training (if you get stuck, then we'll have recovery in action!). We can talk about radios, but its not a radios training - but it is about how to communicate effectively as a leader, which includes radios. We will talk about and practice spotting - that's a trail leader skill. :geek:

justin4045

Rising Sun Member
I plan on making it out for this. I might have to show up pretty late thursday night or maybe even friday morning. All depends of work that week.
Had a great time last year.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I am still in. Looking forward to learning.

Ann

Rising Sun Member
Emma and I will be arriving Wed. If anyone else is going out early and wants to run a trail or join us for a hike reach out! Jeff can't make it so we will likely only bring one rig. Most likely the 200, unless Em wants to try to finish off the rear bumper on the 100 before she replaces it....we will see.