• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

2020 BOWAGW Run

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
What a great turn out!! Had a great time, and great weather. Just what the Dr ordered for mid week fun. Thanks again Matt for organizing.

cheers!

Yeti

Rising Sun Member
We had 20 trucks show up for the run. The weather was great, the air was pretty clear and not smoky. No mechanicals or problems that I saw. Chase wants a regear now and Jackson needs BP-51 suspension for his 80. I had a blast in my LX570 and was very happy with how it performed as I get more experience and offroad seat time. The Slee sliders got their first use with my questionable line choices and they protected the AHC components and body perfectly.

On a personal note, this was my first public outing and trip to the mountains since March. I have a newborn and 3 extremely high-risk family members that live with me and that I help take care of. I am very grateful to have a job that allows me to work from home and have actually enjoyed this year so far with the additional quality time at home and working on random projects around the house and garage. I had a huge smile the whole drive home, I didn't realize how much I missed the outdoors and personal time. I feel recharge just from this one short trip. Anyways, thank you all for the fun day, I appreciated everyone respecting my space and look forward to getting out again soon.

I didn't get many pictures but here are a few:
PXL_20200902_224746614.jpg
PXL_20200902_222151318.jpg

Chase invited the VW Touareg and it kept up fine.
PXL_20200902_221301676.jpg

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I didn't take a single photo. We had 19 or 20 trucks. Two FJ40s, one 60, a bunch of 80s, several 100s, a couple of 200s, several 4Runners and trucks, and a VW Toureg.

It was a beautiful day. Blue sky everywhere, and hardly a whiff of smoke that has been in the air for weeks. We had a big group that naturally gets spread out on the trail, which made for slow going and waiting, but no one seemed to mind. For many of us, it had been months since we'd seen each other in person, so we were just grateful to be together in the great outdoors.

We ran Slaughterhouse Gulch, as we have for most of the BOWAGW runs. The trail was busy, even on a Wednesday afternoon. On the way in, a group of 5 built newer Toyotas passed us heading out. They were drool worthy. There was a guy on a motorcycle who was doing loops on the trail -- it seemed like he would pass us every 20 minutes or so. Overall, the trail is in pretty good shape.

@Workinonit mentioned that he lives a couple of doors down from one of the original Rising Sun club members, so that was super interesting. I am hoping he can connect us. After all, our 40 year anniversary as a club is next year!

@fjc man brought his red '79 FJ40, but he bugged out in the middle of the trail run without telling anyone, which caused some alarm from us old timers who try to make certain we don't leave anyone behind.

@DanielChase told us about randomly meeting Rising Sun old member June Bennett at a diner in Wyoming. Small world. Probably only a few guys on here will have ever even heard that name, right? @Shark Bait @Rzeppa @Uncle Ben will probably know her.

There was much chatter on ham frequency 147.420 and just a little on CB channel 4.

We saw cows in the meadows on the way out. I don't recall ever seeing cows back in this area, and I bet I have run this trails 20 times.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
@fjc man , it's only because we care man! Thanks for checkin' back in.

Thanks to all who came out, it was indeed nice to catch smoke free mountain air and some normal with the club!

20200902_150140[1].jpg20200902_150221[1].jpg20200902_161323[1].jpg20200902_161805[1].jpg

Beats workin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sorry about bugging out, you’re right I should have said something.

Glad you are alive. I had a bad dream that you were stuck on the turnaround loop at the bottom of the meadow and wondered where everyone went.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Great run, great weather, great people. Thanks SO much Matt for organizing and leading this. It was a needed escape from the pandemic insanity.

I have one picture for now:

IMG_1439.JPEG

Hoping to mooch some more pics from my daughter, assuming she took any non teenage girl modeling shots. :)

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Was a lot of fun! It was cool to see so many people all out at once finally! I did the noob's run in '18 and Jackson had to spot me over everything but this time I did all of the hard lines and only got a minor spot by Dan at the end. I'd be stuck for sure without this club!

Of course I flew my drone:

XIJVjnR.jpg

GQOX9eD.jpg

h8Frsbh.jpg

8nMzb4e.jpg

swDAS8g.jpg

Ay4WFdJ.jpg

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Jimmy does that drone of yours drive around the trees by itself? serious drone envy here..

and I've never been the only 60 before... glad I was able to help class things up for you guys. :) we had a terrific time, great group and I definitely got re-energized a bit myself. thanks again Matt for leading!

IMG_2116.jpg
IMG_2117.jpg
IMG_2120.jpg

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Jimmy does that drone of yours drive around the trees by itself? serious drone envy here..

and I've never been the only 60 before... glad I was able to help class things up for you guys. :) we had a terrific time, great group and I definitely got re-energized a bit myself. thanks again Matt for leading!

View attachment 88669View attachment 88670View attachment 88671
Yes, yes it does. The Skydio is no joke. US company too! https://www.skydio.com/

And yes, you brought some class and elegance to us heathens with your 60. Also your antenna mount survived not only the trees but the carwash too! http://www.gamiviti.com/antenna-brackets

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Pretty much what Hulk said. Yes, I remember June Bennett. I had a good time, was a bit hot, I think I had the only rig without A/C, even that '79 '40 had air. Tim, I didn't bring my '60 because (a) I just got my new antenna whip for my 40, and (b) the Duratracs on the 60 are shot. I have new Cooper Discoverer AT3s on order with Discount tire (along with new Pro Comp rims) but they're not here yet.

First pic. One of the things my wife hates about 4 wheeling in a group is when everyone stops. For no apparent reason. And the reason isn't communicated. Anyway, this was near the fork where you go up the back side of stump hill.

DSC_65041500.jpg

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
One of the reasons I'm a little late posting my pics is having to cut them down. I remember back in the day when our limit for pics was 25kB. Most people were still on dial-up in 2005. That's relaxed a LOT now, but the forum still isn't happy with the full 24Mp pics straight out of the Nikon.

A couple of the playground above the meadow.

DSC_65051500.jpg
DSC_65061500.jpg
DSC_65071500.jpg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I don't have a job, so I couldn't blow off work! Looks like fun!