2017 Elk Hunt reports

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I'll start.

We finally drew our muzzle loading tags this year. We spent a week in our area in the Flat Tops wilderness which was nice. But, they weren’t really bugling which was disappointing. I did manage did get a 5x5 the 2nd morning at 120 yards. I forgot to take a picture until the next day after I almost had the antlers cut off. My friend shot a small buck and that was it. I packed it out and down to town to locker storage after a few days. Then came back. I was getting concerned with the mid day temps and all the blow fly eggs on the game bags. It all ended up fine. Next time I'll have chili powder and more AK game bags. Cloth bags are worthless in Sept. with the flies.

There were more deer and bears this year and less elk. My poor friend Dan hunted hard for 8 days and didn't get a shot. But. we all still had a good time huntin’ and fishin’ in the wilderness.:)

Good luck to others and post your reports.

Attachments

• IMG_20170911_134402704_HDR (Small).jpg
    IMG_20170911_134402704_HDR (Small).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_20170916_121526065 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20170916_121526065 (Small).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 463

baja1d

Hard Core 4+
Nice. We too saw more deer & bear than elk in the Hans Peak Area. Literally day of departure, my 45 lbs backpack turned into a car load of crap due to the addition of my hunting partner's father & uncle.

Even though it turned into a car camping trip we scouted a different portion of our unit. Additionally, I figured out a way to connect the two locations on foot & feel like I've got a solid backpacking plan for 3rd season!

On a side note, pretty disappointed in this fancy Snomaster refrigerator I picked up. I brought a fully charged deep cycle battery to run it but only got 2.5 days out of it. Turns out the refrigerator has a 10v safety shut off that cannot be overridden under any circumstances. Snomaster's solution at this point is to add a solar system. We'll see how it does at the Overland East Rally; trailer has a solar system.

Travis Hurley- Founder/Owner
Outer Limit Supply | 720-987-4202
Est. 2014 | Littleton, Colorado
www.outerlimitsupply.com

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Nice work on the elk hunt Scott!

Travis, you may want to check the wiring all the way to where it comes in the power supply for the fridge. Poor connections can cause pretty big voltage drops. This was happening on my Edgestar and my solution was to open it up and solder wires to the input on the power supply and terminate it in a powerpole connector tot he trucks wiring. The cig plug adapter and where it went into the fridge were both getting pretty hot on mine signalling power loss. 10v is pretty low and should be a decent cutoff. Anyhow, something to check out.

@scott nice work!

This is my first big game season(archery). We got into some cows first weekend, timber was too thick and didn't have shooting lanes.

Also first weekend, glassed a bachelor group, lost track of them then bumped them.

Blew some stalks on some mulies, mainly because I tried getting closer even though I was within my effective range, rookie mistake.

I specifically joined this group to be better prepared for 4x4 roads used for hunting access: recovery, driving those super slick muddy roads etc.

one more archery weekend to go, good luck!

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Congrats!

I have first rifle bull this weekend, looking forward to that and will report back!

Last weekend was successful with antelope - that trip is always fun.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Went up to WY (near Tetons, unit 62 I believe) and almost didn't make it back. We got ALOT of snow and it caved in on our teepee and broke the center pole. We barely made it out nearly 8 miles in a white out blizzard with 3 horses that we had to lead out on foot. The horses refused to go in the 2' of snow and kept wanting to turn back. Not an option. I wasn't sure if I would ever see my family again...very scary.

My buddy had to go back up to get the bull a few days later and it took him two days to get it out with another friend with better horses. Wolves had eaten about a third of the meat. Still got about 140 pounds or so. Just glad to be safe and back home.

Anyway...not the biggest rack, but the most symmetrical rack I have ever seen.
c247fd3729b16d0aa253f18a7b9ff53c.jpg

3ab3b79c803dfcfaf575e57b701693f4.jpg

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Way to go Paul. Looks like a great Bull and sounds like quite an adventure.

baja1d

Hard Core 4+