• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

2008 Rally Run #2 - Red Cone

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
You will meet at Sunday August 10th 9AM at the Conoco Station in Bailey and up to Redcone. This is an moderate trail that a stock truck with a good driver could do with no issues. There are a few areas that can be bypassed that have some medium sized rocks. The decent from Redcone is a little steep, but to those with some experience, it's not a lot of challenge. It is beautiful and spectacular and was my favorite run from the Rally last year

Post up if you plan on coming so I can plan accordingly as your Trail leader.

Here is the trip report from 2007 Rally run

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4542

Last edited:
Romer,
Being new to your club events is this open to nonmembers? Looks like fun. You say it is during the Rally and i see you guys had lunch up there. Is this a day trip and do you go to the rally after the ride? thanks.

Romer,
Being new to your club events is this open to nonmembers? Looks like fun. You say it is during the Rally and i see you guys had lunch up there. Is this a day trip and do you go to the rally after the ride? thanks.

Somebody correct me If I am wrong, but I think it open to anyone as a part of the rally. Last year the rally was on sat and red cone on sun. I believe it's the same this year. And yes it's a day run.

I also want say I'm planning on bringing the family to this one.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Romer,

It wasn't clear so I edited the first post to say Sunday. Thanks for pointing that out

Any of our runs are open to anyone. The exception is Cruise Moab you have to be a TLCA member and registered for the event. The ones we do here in Colorado are not insured by the TLCA (or anyone else:eek:) and are open to anyone.

We have several rules, no drinking alcohol and to use good judgment and be respectful of others. We always try to have a family atmosphere.

We do bring our own lunches and stop at the meadow for lunch before you climb up to the peak.

I understand that both Webster pass and Radical hill are closed so we will go in via 285 and out to I-70 via Montezuma unless that changes

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'm a strong maybe. We'll be on the road camping all week, and I think we'll roll back into town some time Saturday. If I can get my s$%^ back in order on Saturday, I might show up for the Red Cone run.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We are in as well. It'll be the wife and I - no kid. We will be in the comfy 80. The scenery on this trail is awesome. If you aren't familiar with it you will definitely want to bring a camera.

ttubb

I am a probable. I will have to drive from Crested Butte to meet up with the group where 60 splits off of 285. Is the plan for the rest of the group to meet at Bailey at 0900? Terry

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I am a probable. I will have to drive from Crested Butte to meet up with the group where 60 splits off of 285. Is the plan for the rest of the group to meet at Bailey at 0900? Terry

Yes, per the first post

ttubb

Ham Freqs

Ken, I assume you will be on the Rising Sun freq and CB Ch 4 while on the road. Will you be listening in on a repeater on the way up? Terry

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'll be on 146.460 and channel 4. Not planning on listening to a repeater

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
It looks like Radical Hill is open.
http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm#schofield

If my kids can hang I would like to head up that way then drop down into Montezuma. I would normally want to hit the rock garden (Missouri Gulch) via the middle fork of the swan to Georgia Pass. But, I'm sure that's too long of a day for my kids.

Shorty

Shorting is planning on being there. A friend from work and his son may ride with me. Carey (MyRedYota) said that will probably come, too. A friend with a J**p would like to attend as well.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
when do you think we'd be to montezuma? Trying to decide if I can squeeze out for the morning/early afternoon.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Assuming no breakdowns, traffic or delays, I would expect to be in Keystone between 3-4.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I will have to skip this one... unfortunately.

you guys have fun :)