• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

1fz-fe compatiblity ???

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Does anyone know if the 1fz-fe (96 fzj-80 if that matters) can be mated to an h55f tranny? If so, what is entailed/is it difficult or, "bolt-on"? Next, could that combo be fit into a 76 fj40, or is there not enough room under the hood? What would that entail? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, tips, advice.
Abe

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
should "bolt on"

I believe Australia and some other places offered that as a stock option. I don't see why it wouldn't fit in a 40. Don't ever expect anything to simply bolt together. It's never that easy. I think their was some info on MUD.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
The H55 is not a direct bolt in to a 1fz, I beleive it is a H151. I would look on mud in the 80 series section to find out for sure. Blojet is doing a new taco 6 speed to 1fz for his winter hipo project. he says he love it and get around 20+miles to the gallon currently. Check out his posts.
As for fitting in a 40, length should be ok, but you will have lots to do. The computer for the 96 is a combi that includes the tranny with it, you would need to source a auzzie other countries computer for the 96 engine with no auto tranny. Nothing that can not be handled with some research and planing ahead. later robbie

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Robbie is correct, the 5 speed that will fit a 1FZ is the H151. The 1HZ diesel will bolt to the H55F however. And as Robbie points out, the best source for the bits needed for a combo such as this would be a dismantler in Oz. Personally, if I were going to go through the brain damage of such a swap into a 40, I would go for a diesel such as the 1HZ/H55F such as Dave Tay did, or better yet, the newer 12HD-T with H151, with approximately the same dimensions but much higher performance. Both of the latter combos are available from Japan through Greg Bowie and Steve Walsh in BC:

http://www.gscruiserparts.com/aboutus.html

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Kind of have to go with the 1fz-fe

I am getting a perfect 1fz-fe and tranny (with 120,000 miles, but runs great) for $900, so I am kind of tied to this motor. I am willing to use the other tranny though (H151). In theory I should be able to get an aussie tranny into the country cheaper than anyone else (if I can get one and the other components) as my wife is a customs broker and can get super good rates on transportation.
So, does anyone know anyone in Australia, that works in this sort of area?
Again, thanks in advance for any help.
Abe

Also, If I go through with this, does anyone else want to get anything from Australia? Like I said, I have access to really good rates for customs/transportation.