Wanted 1996-1997 Built 80

Looking to find and/or buy something? Add this prefix to your thread.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I'm seriously considering adding an 80 to the Hamilton stable of Cruisers. This rig would be used for more technical trails than I can reasonably take the 200 on. While the 200 is a fantastic platform, doing the Morrison Jeep Trail in the 200 this year made me realize I need something with a solid front axle, more ground clearance, and less weight.

If you have a built 80 that has been well maintained and has <200K miles, let me know. I'm a cash buyer for the right rig at a reasonable price.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Great choice Jeff! Good luck in your search!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I love 80's. but curious about this- is there a specific trail you want to do, but can't with your current lineup? I thought the 40 was built for the tougher stuff... just don't want to drive it distances, or trailer it?

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I love 80's. but curious about this- is there a specific trail you want to do, but can't with your current lineup? I thought the 40 was built for the tougher stuff... just don't want to drive it distances, or trailer it?
The 40 needs some work and it is not comfortable to drive to Utah or Montana (for example). I don't want to haul / trailer the 40 to Moab. The Morrison Jeep Trail this sumer taught me some things about the 200. There is a bit of discussion on this here. I love the 200, It's just not the right platform for much of the stuff I would like the option of doing. I could always buy a buggy (I have looked into this), but I want something that is more 7 or 8 trail / Expedition rated and comfortable to drive for 6 hours (even if it's slow).

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Where does the 100 fit in then? I thought they were similar sized, the 105 being as I understand a 100 body on a 80 chassis. Kind of seems like one built for rocks would be ideal since it would also be comfortable on the highway, ride and engine power wise.

Obviously IFS but that dead horse is hammered plenty dead, suffice to say my $0.02 always being that SFA is a crutch 99.34% of the time unless you're intentional about it (e.g. Billings Canyon).

Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Where does the 100 fit in then? I thought they were similar sized, the 105 being as I understand a 100 body on a 80 chassis. Kind of seems like one built for rocks would be ideal since it would also be comfortable on the highway, ride and engine power wise.

Obviously IFS but that dead horse is hammered plenty dead, suffice to say my $0.02 always being that SFA is a crutch 99.34% of the time unless you're intentional about it (e.g. Billings Canyon).
Our 100 now belongs to Emma. As for the 105, I need something available in the US. With 80s there’s lots to choose from. As for SFA, I’ve done well wheeling with independent, but would prefer the SFA for what I want to do on the rig I’m envisioning. You are welcome to drive whatever you want @DaveInDenver. :)

To be clear, we are not getting rid of the 200.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
IMO, the 80 series is hands down the best do-everything Land Cruiser ever available in the US. Everything except towing, and going fast up hills. So long as that's understood, a person could have a great time cruising the highway all day, or airing down and pointing it up and down some pretty gnarly terrain. You'll hit your limits in really tight stuff, and the obvious approach/departure/breakover limitations, but so long as that's understood the 80 will out wheel them all. I should probably get an 80 again, just to be supportive. :bolt:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Doing the Rubicon in a locked 80 on 35's was the way to go. I would never take my 200 on that. There are not a lot of trails I want to do that the 200 wouldnt work. I find as the older I get, the less hard rock crawling trail I want to do. That is why they make Chocolate and Vanilla, I like Strawberry :) Its about personal preference.

Edit: Back to Jeff wants a 1997 80. sorry for the continued distraction on this thread

Last edited:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I love my triple locked 1997 collector’s edition.
First cruiser I ever bought...from a doctor that didn’t know what the dial was for when I bought it with 90 some thousand miles cause his wife wanted a new Infiniti something.

I will definitely quit guts wise before my 80 will and have many times.
It is unreal to me that Toyota built a truck like the 80 series.

Since then I have dumped more money into this than I should have. Mud paralysis of the head gasket and preventative maintenance, and modifications sent me down rabbit holes I never should have gone down for how I have used my 80...Like a preventative hg replacement at Slee with under 150k in the clock...
It is a million mile chassis that sits underutilized the vast majority of the time.

Having said all of that it is the best vehicle I have ever owned and it’s not even close.
Has taken me and my family places I would have never thought possible.

Sure I probably could have replaced it.
But holy crap I don’t know a better vehicle ever made that is the perfect mix of indestructibility with longevity as original design intent, off road prowess, and on road manners ever made.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I saw this. Thanks!