• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

1991 hd80 VX

I just moved to Denver and have a 1991 HD80 VX Diesel power and am in need of a good mechanic in Denver for future problems. Hope none anything soon, the engine is new. Any info would be helpful and i look forward in you out .

Mark

wesintl

RS Moderator
No one knows a 1HD-T very well round here. Have you replaced the BB's? I would sell that thing to me since there are no mechanics for it :)

Might ask Christo who he would recommend if he don't work on them. I have been taking my diesels to Diesels Only of alameda for emissions test. I usually do all my own work though. I've seen a couple of cruiser diesels there and they work on toy diesels. For injector and pump maintenance i've gone to Central Motive Power. They at least know denso items there.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to Denver

So how did you diesel make it to the US?

It is a Panama series that I purchase in Corpus Christ as a parts car. I bought a long bloc in CA and had the complete engine gone through with new rings, main bearing, turbo reworked, injectors and have an extra head. Wimberly 4X4 outside of San Antonio did all the work. I spent more than I should on it but love the cruiser. I drove it up from Houston and got 23 mpg. I need to start working on the registration and sure its going to be a pain in the ass. Any helpful ideas. Emmisions in Co.? its a 1991 so hopeful its grandfathered.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
25 years is the cutoff. We have the emmisions Nazi here so I wish you the best of luck. You can sell it to me if want though :D

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Agreed, emissions is way too hard and registration is even worse. You're much better off cutting your losses and selling it to one of us in the club.

:) oh yeah, welcome!

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Or register it out of Denver metro and the emissions control area if you can do so :)

But that would require a residence outside of the emissions areas...

you can just get a PO box in weld county and you wont have to do emissions! thats what I did when my 40 wouldnt pass. plus I'm pretty sure registering it wouldnt be to bad there.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Enviro-suck going the way of the buffalo

FWIW, I heard that the emissions Nazis are slowly going the way of the buffalo. Ft Collins has done away with Envirosuck since Jan 1st. Diesel are still every year, however. It will be slow to hit the Denver area I'm told, but it is unclear what the process will be to register vehicle with regards to emissions.

Granted this is not first hand knowledge, but thru the grapevine. I hope that enviro-suck does go away.

wesintl

RS Moderator
FWIW, I heard that the emissions Nazis are slowly going the way of the buffalo. Ft Collins has done away with Envirosuck since Jan 1st. Diesel are still every year, however. It will be slow to hit the Denver area I'm told, but it is unclear what the process will be to register vehicle with regards to emissions.

Granted this is not first hand knowledge, but thru the grapevine. I hope that enviro-suck does go away.

Because the studies show that it doesn't pull old polluting vehicles off the road like they would hope or want. A good economy does that. Plus when you can get an exemption (as most states have as well) to get a waiver for ~$700 worth of work done and it still doesn't work doesn't help. Unfortunatly Diesels are the worst polluters to the brown clould. Nitrous oxides in particular. I think the gross polluters are fleet vehicles IMHO.

If you have had a previous US title I don't see it being vey difficult to get another. Passing diesel emissions is easy too. I think the max is 30% opacity on and old vehicle. I think it's just less on a new one and all you have to do is turn down the fuel if you have an issue. I never bother to check what my TDI runs at.

I wish Enviro check would go away but I don't think that'll be the case. It's big time $$$$$ in somones pocket and the legislature doesn't get enough complaints from the citizens to pull the program. It's a collossal waste of money though, I can tell you that.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I read that it is in fact going away, to be replaced with roadside tests. Not for a few years though.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I read that it is in fact going away, to be replaced with roadside tests. Not for a few years though.

x2

What boggles my mind is how a 1 second drive past one of those mobile stations can do what it takes the emissions folks 30+ mins to do :rolleyes: :hill:

Thanks for all the info. I will start the painful process next week. NOT LOOKING FORWAD to it. They said I would need to fill out a special id bond since its a complete rebuild. I will ask about emmisions test and if it will I may need to get the PO Box outa town

I also have a 02' landcruiser loaded that I may put on the market to sell soon

Thanks all

Beater

Hard Core 4+
one of my better friends is in charge of the program, from the state side.. I will see what I can find out.