146.460 and the International Space Station

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I am sure it is operator error with my new radio. I am listening to 146.460 and every 15 minutes I hear the time at the International space station. Periodically I hear an automated message from a station in Colorado Springs

I have the volume on the 2nd band turned off and I have talked to Rachel on 146.460 to make sure my radio is working

Thoughts?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I saw your other post. I can't figure out what's going on. There's no repeater input or output close, the ISS shouldn't be here. The only thing I can think of is a repeater retransmitting the ISS phone. I dunno, I really don't. 146.460 should be a simplex frequency.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Could you be getting an ISS rebroadcast via one of the fixed APRS stations?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have APRS on the B side and volume is off. This is coming in on A side tuned to 146.460 with FM modulation (Analog). It is a head scratcher.

I had to drive up to Arvada yesterday and it became less clear and a choppy signal the farther north I got. I don't recall hearing it along I-70

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Dave’s explanation seems like the most likely. I’m about to head to Boulder and will listen into 146.460.

Update: I listened to this and it is Spacenet1 via Echolink Node #3082. For my location there was a station in Westminster, CO that was transmitting the Echolink node information.

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Jeff. I feel better knowing it isnt just me

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
We had to use one of the backup stations this weekend. Got tired of the Space Station transmissions quick.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, I've been picking this up for a couple of weeks up north as well... have stopped listening to .460 as a result.

I also heard the Westminster ID but haven't tuned in in a few days... Hope he'll knock it off and that it's not intentional, this isn't cool on a planned simplex channel right?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I listened to this the other day, and it was mildly interesting... heard what they were going to have for dinner, what bin location to find a specific tool, etc. Odd that someone would have picked this frequency to broadcast though... easy for me to say as I have no idea how to do that.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Yeah, I've been picking this up for a couple of weeks up north as well... have stopped listening to .460 as a result.

I also heard the Westminster ID but haven't tuned in in a few days... Hope he'll knock it off and that it's not intentional, this isn't cool on a planned simplex channel right?

IIRC, 146.460 was the "official" frequency for Spacenet One (I can't seem to find a reference for this just now). I think the guy in Westminster has just decided to use it and broadcast, but that's speculation.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Seems like 146.460 is quiet again along the front range, anybody else noticing this?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
When we did the Triple Survey Run we had a ton of traffic on the 147.420 freq and ended up using 146.460 again and it seemed fine that day... I mean I know you were there but just a comment for the masses.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Was on 146.460 for 3 straight days last week and never heard anyone outside of our group. Sounds like the link is down... hopefully forever! Still my default.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well I was driving around in the 40 yesterday and monitoring 146.460 and sure enough, there it was again... :rolleyes: so maybe we're not out of this yet.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, as soon as I opened my mouth I heard it again to.

chaos

Rising Sun Member
I heard it this morning.