100,000 acre wilderness bill for Summit County (Jan 25, 2018)

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Rep. Jared Polis, Sen. Michael Bennet introduce 100,000 acre wilderness bill for Summit and Eagle counties

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/re...ilderness-bill-for-summit-and-eagle-counties/

Best detail map I found was https://conservationco.org/admin/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/ContDivide_bigmap_24x36.pdf

Summit Daily Article:
A pair of Colorado congressional Democrats announced on Wednesday the introduction of a broad wilderness bill that would protect nearly 100,000 acres of public lands in Summit and Eagle counties.

The announcement came the day before the start of the Outdoor Retailer Trade Show in Denver, and the timing was no accident; the four-day industry expo moved to Denver from Salt Lake City last year in response to Utah lawmakers' controversial efforts to shrink national monuments there.

Senator Michael Bennet and Representative Jared Polis, a candidate for governor who represents Summit County, said during a call with reporters that their bill aims to show the state's commitment to protecting public lands at a time when the Republican-dominated federal government is moving in the opposite direction.

"I think it's important for us to have bills like this so we can continue to drive the conversation here about the importance of pubic lands to the West," Bennet told reporters. "And that's a debate we will win, for the very reason that the outdoor show is coming to Colorado tomorrow — it was essentially pushed out of Utah by ideologues who do not support public lands in their state."

The Continental Divide Recreation, Wilderness, and Camp Hale Legacy Act, which has won broad support from public officials across Summit and Eagle counties, would create three new wilderness areas in the Tenmile Range, Hoosier Ridge and Williams Fork Mountains totaling more than 21,000 acres.

"Summit County supports this effort to protect our public lands, for our citizens and for Colorado's future success," Summit County Commissioner Dan Gibbs said in a prepared statement. "Summit County receives millions of visitors every year, and our federally protected public lands, including designated Wilderness areas, contribute significantly to the local economy and quality of life for our visitors and citizens alike."

The bill would also expand the existing Eagles Nest and Ptarmigan Peak Wilderness Areas, both in Summit, and Eagle's Holy Cross wilderness, a total of 20,000 acres. Additionally, it creates more than 16,000 acres of recreation management areas that would protect mountain biking, hiking and hunting areas near Copper Mountain Resort.

The biggest addition to the bill, now eight years in the making, is the Camp Hale National Historic Landscape, a first-of-its-kind designation that would protect nearly 30,000 acres around the Eagle County home of the Army's storied 10th Mountain Division, whose veterans went on to build the ski industry.

The bill, last introduced by Polis in a different form in 2015, has made scant progress in the past. Now, with the support of Bennet, Polis said he's optimistic the bill can weather a hostile climate in Congress.

"The version we're introducing today encompasses the vastest area of land to date, it's bicameral and I'm confident that it's a question of when it will become law rather than if," said Polis, who is currently running for governor.

A long list of more than 130 organizations, governments and business in Summit and Eagle support the bill, but it's unclear what reception it will get in the House of Representatives, where past versions have struggled to even get a committee hearing. This latest version will also be joining a long backlog of wilderness bills.

"A broad coalition supports this bill because we are closest to our lands in Eagle and Summit counties and we know this form of permanent protection will help create jobs and stability around the outdoor recreation economy on Western Colorado," Polis said, asked about the bill's feasibility.

Republicans have argued that shrinking protections on federal lands can open the door for extractive industries to create jobs and boost rural economies.

Polis and Bennet, however, argued that expanding protections on recreational lands was a vote of confidence for the outdoor recreation industry, which supports an estimated 7.5 million jobs nationwide.

The industry has pushed back strongly against efforts to shrink protected lands, which often serve as major recreation destinations. Outdoor Retailer pulled out of Salt Lake City, its home for 21 years, after Utah lawmakers pushed the Trump Administration to shrink national monuments there.

In December, the administration shrank Bears Ears National Monument by 85 percent and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument by half, potentially opening those areas to mining and oil and gas extraction and prompting a flurry of legal challenges.

Unlike national monuments, which are designated by presidents, wilderness areas can't be unmade by executive action.

Despite the apparent headwinds, Polis said he had high hopes for the bill, which will need to get a hearing in the House Natural Resources Committee before it can move forward.

"Wilderness is forever, and when we look back on this in 50 years or 100 years, it won't matter so much whether it's done in 2019 or 2021, but it will get done as long as we have dedicated public officials like Senator Bennet and so many others who are trying to get it across the finish line," he said.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
This is a land use issue for sure, but I may start another thread in the Political and Controversial topics! :)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Looks like the road to the saddle under peak 10 (breck) is missing on the map but also not in the wilderness area. 4th of July bowl also is not from what I can tell. Looking at other spots.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
My first offroad trip in my new to me at the time '67 FJ40, in 1973, was with a friend in an old Land Rover Series II(?) up to the base of Peak 10 in June. That is where folks would gather at the base of the big snowfield on Peak 10 on the 4th of July and party and ski if they were so inclined. This is back when it used to really snow. On the way down, the Rover got bumped off the trail and wound up having to negotiate down a scree field to get back on the trail at over 11,000'. What a trip and what views! In the winter of 1982, while working as a snowmobile tour guide I got to lead a group of Motorola techs up to the same saddle, the one Marco mentioned, for an early foray into locating optimal spots for future communications towers. We sat in a little unheated shack at nearly 12,000' for over three hours enduring -40F degree temps and over 100mph winds while they set up their instruments and took signal strength readings and such. The tattered remains of a less than two year old windmill there that was supposedly fit for 200+mph winds was a stark reminder of what games Mother Nature can play at extreme elevations. None of us were in very good condition by the time we got back down to the Breckenridge Ski area later in the afternoon. As I recall, the road up to the base of Peak 10 closed to the public sometime before we moved from Summit Co. to Denver in 1984 as it traversed ski area property. Good times!!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i guess i better get ready to add some names to the "trails we've lost" list :(

rover67

Rising Sun Member
which ones are you seeing Ige? I am kinda combing this thing over

Crash

Rising Sun Member
i guess i better get ready to add some names to the "trails we've lost" list :(

Started my version of your list, Ige, in 1976, while a dirt biker in Summit Co. One was able to ride or drive up French Gulch on the northeast side of Bald Mtn. up and over French Pass and down into the Michigan Creek drainage and on into Como. It was an incredibly beautiful two-track that had a stream crossing in a big meadow right before you got to the bottom of the north side of French Pass and that is where the problem lay that caused the need for the closure. I remember hopping off the Swan Fork road and heading up towards French Pass, as I had done numerous times prior to this day and soon coming across a Forest Service gate situated in a place where even a dirt bike couldn't get around, effectively making it a hiking-only trail. In 1976. I immediately knew the reason for the gate as I had taken my 40 and Husqvarna up there numerous times and had seen how folks who seemingly didn't want to get their tires muddy, or whatever, had widened the creek crossing increasingly eastward until the area that was once a simple two track crossing was turned into a 100 yard wide mud bog that was a scar on nature. I can't remember how many times I had seen large herds of elk up there and it broke my heart to know that wheeling in the area was closed off forever. I understood the need for the closure. In 1976. Irresponsible people suck.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
"And that's a debate we will win, for the very reason that the outdoor show is coming to Colorado tomorrow — it was essentially pushed out of Utah by ideologues who do not support public lands in their state."

Is he really that stupid?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So what OHV roads or trails are at risk here? I read the article, and the comments below it, seems some mountain bikers are stirred up by this and I learned IMBA doesn't represent mountain biking. But not seeing the OHV conflict here... granted I don't know these areas that well.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'd be interested to know what kind of regulation would be included in "recreational management area" and "national historic landscape". Otherwise I don't see much in the way of 4x4 trail closures. Farnham could chime in better on Spraddle Creek and moto/MTB.

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 308

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
scott jones with cohvco has a 46 page letter drafted and the state association, big horn jeep club, core of buena vista and norac have all pledged to get letters in.

a few of us poured over maps this morning and the list of trails lost include
in the williams fork area - williams peak, sulpher road, haystack mountain, blue lake and dillon road.

in the williams wca area, mumford gulch and cox gulch

in the ute pass addition, 2402 road (may actually skirt the area, hard to tell on map, but will affect camping)

in the no name area, wurts ditch

the following trails won't be directly eliminated but are losing camping alongside and will eventually be encroached on
703/homestake road
759/holy cross trail
704 and 727 the cutout from holy cross
mccullogh gulch

we didn't have maps detailing the ten mile area, so we still need to investigate what trails will be lost there

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Each time trails are closed due to irresponsible use it forces more vehicles on the fewer trails that even used responsibly still get beat up. The end of this is all off highway vehicle use being banned because of the intensive use. More and more it's hard to stay motivated to fight it. And the IMBA thing is true, I gave on them some time ago. They don't advocate for MTBs but seem to mostly want to apologize for wanting to use the trails and placate the Sierra Club.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Each time trails are closed due to irresponsible use it forces more vehicles on the fewer trails that even used responsibly still get beat up. The end of this is all off highway vehicle use being banned because of the intensive use. More and more it's hard to stay motivated to fight it. And the IMBA thing is true, I gave on them some time ago. They don't advocate for MTBs but seem to mostly want to apologize for wanting to use the trails and placate the Sierra Club.

You’re not wrong. It’s frustrating, thankfully some are still fighting for us. Idiots who’ve never spent time in the forest see a sierra club brochure and think they’re doing the right thing.