• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

04 gx470 overlander.

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
So, I ended up flying out to CA and driving my daughters x gx470 home to CO. This the same one I listed here with no success. All things happen for a reason. So I got her home and pulled into the shop at which time I pulled the front end apart for a timing belt, water pump, cam seals and Main seal replacement. I also serviced all fluids including transmission and center diff lock seals. Going to build bumpers, sliders and install a Boss 2.5 lift then add larger tires and turn it into an overlanding rig. Oh yes, polished the headlights today.
20210522_084737.jpg
20210522_084825.jpg
20210522_145006.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Will be watching your build. Trying to talk my wife into a gx470 when her Tundra is retired. I would build one for the kid, but I think she wants a my 40. ;)

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
So, wow, who knew there is a shortage on suspension equipment. Ordered some King Shocks and coilovers from ORW. Huge mistake! Not only does there website not inform you of when you can expect product but they ignore you until you call as it's been over a week. Then when you finally call to check on the order, they inform you that King product is 9 yes 9 months out. Oh, and I didn't just give ORW a deposit, I paid in full. Needless to say, I canceled the order and as far as King is concerned, they may as well close shop. I ended up going with Icon 58745c and Dobinsons (MRA59-A575) with Icon coils in the rear. Oh and Total Chaos Uniball Upper Control Arms. All these were in stock and shipping (fingers crossed).. will post photos when they are being installed..

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
So, wow, who knew there is a shortage on suspension equipment. Ordered some King Shocks and coilovers from ORW. Huge mistake! Not only does there website not inform you of when you can expect product but they ignore you until you call as it's been over a week. Then when you finally call to check on the order, they inform you that King product is 9 yes 9 months out. Oh, and I didn't just give ORW a deposit, I paid in full. Needless to say, I canceled the order and as far as King is concerned, they may as well close shop. I ended up going with Icon 58745c and Dobinsons (MRA59-A575) with Icon coils in the rear. Oh and Total Chaos Uniball Upper Control Arms. All these were in stock and shipping (fingers crossed).. will post photos when they are being installed..
So, I ended up installing new Icon stage 5 on the silver GX, removed and rebuilt the Boss 2.5 coilovers shocks and UCA's to install on this rig.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Looks friggin amazing man. How'd you lay out the bumper parts?

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Marco! Yeah this was a real learning event for me. Normally this would have been impossible without some sort of jig. Fortunately I had the same rig and bumper for comparison. I started the layout with that piece in the middle that has the 4 bolts (this piece alone was very difficult to get all the angles right), then just started adding and trimming as needed. There was lots of room for error as you can imagine but building it on the rig was the only way to go. It is turning out better than I expected. 😂

Kelvin

New-ish
Great fab work! What gauge steel is that?

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Looking good buddy!

:beer: :beer: