• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

01 Aug 2020 to 03-XX Aug 2020: Morrison Jeep Trail, et al

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I have planned to do the Morrison Jeep Trail for months, and the rig I was going with has backed out. I would like one or more rigs to go with e as I don't want to do it alone. Here's the plan:
01 Aug 2020: Denver to the foot of Morrison Jeep Trail (Camp near the Clarks Fork Yellowstone River)
02 Aug 2020: Ascend Morrison Jeep Trail and follow FS 120 to near the Beartooth Hwy (SH212).
03 Aug 2020: I will continue north to Montana. Other rigs can follow along or return to Denver, or split off, enjoy the forest, and return to Denver later.

Anyone interested?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Its a fun trail and beautiful. My brother and I did it by ourselves in the 60 a few years ago coming home from outlaws. I'd recommend it to anybody not afraid of shelf roads. I don't think I can come but I'll check.. We also camped at the foot of the trail, it was a gorgeous valley and not too far from where they dump the problem bears from Yellowstone so that adds spice. Absolutely gorgeous country.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i may be game....i'm already supposed to go wheeling with the trails off road crew, but they keep changing plans up on me

Ppleasants

New-ish
I'm interested. I have a stock 2012 Tacoma (double cab, long bed so longest wheelbase) and a mildly lifted, triple-locked FZJ80.

I've watched some videos from the trail and it looks like maybe the 80 would be better suited.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I think there are three rigs including mine planning on doing this. If Ppleasants attends that's 4 of us. @rover67 it'd be great if you could come along too!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Looks like a great run, we will be soaking in hot springs for our 10 yr anniversary this weekend.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
This looks awesome! ill have to put it on my to do list.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Here's the plan:

Jake and I will leave Broomfield at ~0800 on 1 Aug 2020. We will pick up a friend from my 4x4 Club (Ige; @nuclearlemon ) when we go through Cheyenne. She's driving her built 80. On the 1st we will camp at the foot of the Morrison Jeep Trail along the Clark's Fork Yellowstone River. On the 2nd I expect to camp in the vicinity of FS120 and the Beartooth Highway (SH 212). Maybe we will camp at Rainbow Lake SE of the 120/212 intersection. I will have my HAM on and monitor 147.420. After that I plan to move up to Livingston and then I will play it by ear. Ige will head back to Cheyenne Monday or Tuesday I believe. Anyone that wants to join is welcome. Jake and I will return to Broomfield on the 9th.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
for everyone that missed this trip (i.e. everyone on this forum except mendocino) you missed an EPIC adventure. for those that have done rubicon, you will understand when i say we were exhausted when we got done because it's 22 miles of paying attention. the switchbacks are considered the obstacle, but it's a ton of climbing up loose toddler head sized rocks, then weaving between tight trees, off camber, with pigslop mud. honestly, i can only say rubicon wore me out the same. jeff, was thrilled to have done it...but he swore no way in hell would he ever take something as big as a 200 up it again. my strap got a lot of use and jeff will be posting a picture that i made him promise to tell any coworkers that don't know me that i'm 5'6" cause you really gotta play up those fishing stories ;)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Nice work you guys!!!! Stoked for photos so I can relive our adventure! I liked it all especially at the bottom where you are wondering if its a 4wheeler trail or a truck trail.

Last edited:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
for everyone that missed this trip (i.e. everyone on this forum except mendocino) you missed an EPIC adventure. for those that have done rubicon, you will understand when i say we were exhausted when we got done because it's 22 miles of paying attention. the switchbacks are considered the obstacle, but it's a ton of climbing up loose toddler head sized rocks, then weaving between tight trees, off camber, with pigslop mud. honestly, i can only say rubicon wore me out the same. jeff, was thrilled to have done it...but he swore no way in hell would he ever take something as big as a 200 up it again. my strap got a lot of use and jeff will be posting a picture that i made him promise to tell any coworkers that don't know me that i'm 5'6" cause you really gotta play up those fishing stories ;)

Dang...can't wait to read about the adventure! Wish I could have witnessed it in person.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
458A00EA-5854-4170-BB81-3890820B3A54.jpeg
here’s the pic Ige mentioned. Morrison was treacherous in a 200. We’ve done >1200 miles in CO/WY/MT. Three more night to go! More pics later. We’re in Tensleep, WY now.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
lol I think i remember that exact spot! Was that where you slip off the the left a bit and you could roll it? Also I forgot about the muddy slippery stuff.

Can't wait to see more photos! We got none because we never stopped or got out of the truck on the climb :/. I should remember to take it slower sometimes.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
THAT is an awesome shot! Now I want Morr

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
The trailhead was JAMMED on Sunday. Just got home from 10 days in Montana and Wyoming. Not sure how we missed each other. Sorry that I didn't see this sooner. I'd been hoping to run that trail, but I'm solo in Cooke City a few times a year and didn't really want to do this trail alone. Kinda glad I've held out.

Awesome stuff.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I'm back home. 1823 miles. We did CO/WY/MT/WY/SD/WY/CO. It was epic. I'll write something up and put it in the Trip AARs. The 200 has some damage, but all in all, it was pure pleasure. I scheduled my post trip visit to Slee before I left. :)

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Oops! What damage to the 200? I hope no more body damage!