Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Rising Sun member

Default Never enough time (even on motorcycles)

AKA the Father's Day 2012 run up to Argentine

So my dad and I went back up there yesterday on the orange bikes to try and cover more ground and check out some of the stuff we didn't have time to last weekend. Even though we averaged about 15 mph for the 2h20m of riding time, and hit a little more than 30 mph on the lower portion of the railroad grade , we still ran out of time to see everything.

We did see the ice caves (or what was left of them). Pretty cool to imagine the walkways that were in place back in the day

1: Ice caves are between the last two runs of railroad, right at the top of McClellan Mtn. You can see the big lump in between the two runs.

2: Here is what's left of the upper one. It's all caved in.

3: Climbing up closer to the opening, this is all you see.

4: You can see the faint path of where people would walk down from the summit of McClellan to see the ice caves. The train would be backing down the next switchback as people checked out the summit and the ice caves.

5: They would then continue down this path to where the train would pick them up down below.

6: This must have been the loading platform for getting back onto the train.
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 04-29-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Rising Sun member

1: Another view from the top, where the train would have dropped you off.

2: I don't know if there was a lower ice cave, but there is a decent-sized platform here that could serve the purpose.

3: A closer view of the lower platform.
Attached Images

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Rising Sun member

Some pics of motorbikes:

1. We found some more fallen trees. I had never been on this road before. Pretty cool.

2. Top of Argentine Pass.

3. Top of McClellan overlooking Stevens Gulch TH and Grays and Torreys Peaks.

4. Sat down for lunch in the right place at the right time.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a good time. History questions. What train went through there and what was there to get dropped off for?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
Thanks for the pics. Looks like a good time. History questions. What train went through there and what was there to get dropped off for?
If you would have come on the cleanup run last weekend I would have told you

Okay, fine, fine. It was the Argentine Central Railroad. You could take a day trip from Union Station in Denver up to Silver Plume. From there you could purchase a ticket that would take you up to the top of McClellan Mtn. for the specacular views from 13,000+ feet! Alternatively, you could take the Sunrise Aerial Tram from Silver Plume up to the top of Sunrise Peak (Pendleton Mtn.) for similar views. Not sure if the train and the tram were running concurrently (Perry's book would probably say), but both are just remnants at this point. Pretty amazing to imagine a train at 13,000+ feet!

The train also serviced the mines in the area. The extra fare from passengers supplemented the commodity fare and both were used to build and maintain the railroad.

Perry's book had some pretty great documentation and posters that advertized this as The Greatest Single-Day Vacation in the World! etc.

Pictures of the top of the Sunrise Aerial Tram:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/s...2&postcount=74

And make sure to check out this website too:
http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/lost/sunrisetram.html
Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
If you would have come on the cleanup run last weekend I would have told you
trust me, i would have much rather been up there than in orlando doing the trade show dog & pony act... corporate politics make me

thanks for the info
Old 06-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smslavin View Post
trust me, i would have much rather been up there than in orlando doing the trade show dog & pony act... corporate politics make me

thanks for the info
I'm just ribbin' ya - I understand the dog and pony show thing too

For anyone going back up to that area later in the year, we should probably coordinate with Brant for the next time because there is some signage work that needs to be done.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Some pics of motorbikes:

1. We found some more fallen trees. I had never been on this road before. Pretty cool.

2. Top of Argentine Pass.

3. Top of McClellan overlooking Stevens Gulch TH and Grays and Torreys Peaks.

4. Sat down for lunch in the right place at the right time.
So from the end of the line on McClellan, the second owners had grand plans to extend the rail road to Grays Peak, ending at a hotel, where a grand spotlight would light up the peaks at night. Survey was done. Second owners went broke.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
1: Another view from the top, where the train would have dropped you off.

2: I don't know if there was a lower ice cave, but there is a decent-sized platform here that could serve the purpose.

3: A closer view of the lower platform.
If thats below the first switchback, thats the ice cave. The Argentine Central would back down from McClellan and pic up passangers at the Ice Caves.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post
If thats below the first switchback, thats the ice cave. The Argentine Central would back down from McClellan and pic up passangers at the Ice Caves.
Yeah, it looked like there were two separate "attractions". They may both have been ice caves, not sure.