Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-13-2012, 03:54 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk
Default Nishiki Pueblo bicycle - rebuild thread

I posted this question to Facebook, but it's probably much easier to discuss this here. My neighbor gave me this old bike they were going to throw out. It's a Nishiki Pueblo with Suntour components. It ancient but it looks like it's in good condition overall.

What should I do with it? Single speed sounds kind of fun. I'd like to be able to coast, so that's a single speed vs. a fixed gear, right? Sounds like I should plan on keeping the brakes although the levers are kind of hard to grip.

Is this worth messing with or should I just put some tubes in the tires and donate it to our neighborhood garage sale? I really think the Urban Outfitters bikes are cool and I'm wondering if I might be able to build my own and save some money too.
Attached Images

1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

All bikes are single speed if you have the discipline to not shift gears

It just doesn't say, "Yea, I'm hip!" with those derailers hanging on there. If you're going to put enough miles on it it claim that the weight savings and improvement in reliability are justified, go for it. If it is an occasional weekend rec' toy, put some air in the tires and pedal it.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Can you take a couple of shots of the drive side? Does the bike have 2 chainrings or 3 in front? Is it 5 gears, 6 or 7 in the back. Looks like it has cantilevers, which is a good thing. I'm culling parts, so could help with getting that guy into a SS or updating some of the parts to keep it multi-geared.

Fixed gears is just what it sounds like, the front and rear do not free wheel. A single speed is just one gear (or what most people say OFG, one f'n gear). Nice thing about SS is you are never in the wrong gear. Of course you are also never in the right one, either. I run a 32:17 gearing on my SS, which is a converted hard tail. Reasons to do it are more than just weight (and they are VERY light), but simplicity (nothing to break and nothing to think about except riding) and they are SUPER quiet.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

as dave said, you will want to keep the freewheel hub if it has one and from that vintage it probably does. You can get single threaded cogs for the gearing. I have a freewheel tool you can borrow. It even has a sexy name, a chain whip.

It will take about 4 hours to convert.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sometimes it's tough to get the chain tensioned right on a single speed conversion if the rear dropout doesn't face back, as in your second photo.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
...What should I do with it? ...
Without a doubt in my mind - the first thing you should do is put some air in the tires, adjust the seat and handlebars to your size and ride it.

Building a bicycle is no different than building a truck and the first thing we ask guys building a truck is "what do you want to do with it?" If you want to ride the multi-use trail system (your house is in a great location for this) then that bike is basically good to go. If you want to start riding to work then you want some fenders and a rack.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

But can you fit 29s on it?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Sometimes it's tough to get the chain tensioned right on a single speed conversion if the rear dropout doesn't face back, as in your second photo.
the oldest trick in the world to fix this.

leave rear derailleur on, remove cable. cut length of cable about 3-5 inches long leaving the nipple on though. insert non-nipple end into derailleur so that you can adjust reach to proper chain tension.

tadah!

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

not worth throwing any cash money at that thing. Put new rubber on it, adjust derailleurs and ride it like it is
TLCA#4180
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

That bike is just screaming for a rear rack and milk crate luggage carrier. Get a couple cans of spray paint and frame green and wheels red. Roll the handlebars forward and it will look like your photo-chop.

If hip cool guy is the look you're after, just grow a mustache. Then the coolness will stay with you even when you're off the bike.