Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default New Oil Filter Hose broke

TheBoomBoom and I were on our way up to Argentine pass around lunch today. We were taking our time going through town and as we started climbing up Bowles out to C-470 I noticed the FJ40 was smoking as we left each stop light.

We pulled into a parking lot, opened the hood and could see oil. It was not obvious where it was coming from but with a little looking it was clear it was coming from one of the new oil filter hoses - not from a fitting but dripping right out of the hose. The hose has a hole.

We called Subzali to let him know our situation and that we would not be making it all the way up. He offered to turn around and give us a hand, but we were still in town and pretty confident that we would be ok. We carry the tool box and extra fluids whenever we take the FJ40 up to the mountains.

We tried to duct tape the hole. We cleaned it up as well as we could with paper towel and then taped it up.

Next we checked the oil. It was not even registering on the dipstick. We had two quarts of oil and put both in. The oil level was still was not registering on the dipstick. A couple of short walks to the Circle K for more oil and we were finally registering just below low. Of course there was oil everywhere.

It even splattered the back of the truck with oily dots.

We checked the fluids before leaving the house and they were good. We were down 4 quarts after about 40 minutes of in town driving. I was watching the oil pressure guage the entire time and it was registering just above low at idle and then in the mid-range when up to RPM. It always had operated this way. If it had not been for the smokey starts we would not have been alerted to the impending trouble.

With oil now in, we started it up. Almost immediately we could see the hose dripping. We shut it down. We then discussed our options and decided to call my cousin to bring out the two bar and Bronco - but he was going to be at work until 5:00. The new oil hoses have specific elbow fittings for the oil filter housing, the block and the mechanical bypass however they hose fittings that screw into the elbow fittings are identical. So we decided to use the good hose to bypass the oil filter entirely and hooked it up to the mechanical bypass.

The oil inside the oil filter was added to the engine and our oil level now registered right between Low and Full. This time when we started it up, there was no oil leaking at all. We drove to a Taco Bell for some food, checked the oil level and it was good. We dropped by the Parker store on the way home, it is closed on Saturday. I'll stop there on my way home Monday. TheBoomBoom did most all of the wrench turning and learned some stuff. We got home just fine.

You know I've learned a bunch from you all and appreciate it. We were in a tight spot (by layman's standards) and due to what we've learned from you we did just fine.

SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bummer that new part failed. Was it a Toyota part or aftermarket?

Glad you were able to trouble shoot it and drive it home.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

You should be able to cut the old black hose off of those ends and push on some new stuff. Those look like push lock fittings. I have some hose that will probably work in the garage, it's pretty decent stuff, 3/8".

i think it's this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-220785/

Kinda hard to see the size of those fittings, but i'm guessing this would work. I'll be around all day tomorrow if you can't find something that'll work near you and you need it
82 FJ40
Old 08-29-2009, 11:21 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

Well look at it this way the under side won't rust any time soon, hope nothing else was hurt..
Old 08-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Hard Core 4+

just think though. having fixed the original part yourself meant that you knew that you could bypass everything. if you'd been out in the sticks, you'd have gotten out of there. a lot of people wouldn't have! on your ingenuity!
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Was it a Toyota part or aftermarket?
Aftermarket, not OEM. Just got back from the Parker Store, took them about 5 minutes to make a new hose. The hose material is hi-temp rated and the new fittings are silver instead of brass. I'll get it installed this afternoon and should be back in business with filtered oil.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 08-31-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

All fixed up, just got back from an extended drive up to Daniels Park after putting in the new hose - no leaks.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 08-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Right on, Ricardo! Glad it's back up and running.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Rising Sun member

I like the way you bypassed the filter! That was a brilliant idea!

I, too, have seen oily dots on the back of my truck - it was from my t-case plug coming out on the way back from Kane Creek a couple years ago - drove for a few miles on the highway with no t-case oil

Doesn't seem to have harmed anything though...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD