Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 05-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default My Mobile HAM mount needs help!

I am looking for some HAM install help, as my mobile mount is not performing well at all. I get static and and poor reception outside of a few hundred yards from other operators. I am happy to pay someone for their expertise and assistance to getting it to perform at a higher and optimal level. It might be a quick fix for anyone who knows what to look for. I honestly don't know how to diagnose this type of problem. Anyone interested and willing to help me diagnose what might be modified??? TIA!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Brad,

How about some details of your system, and vehicle Something's wrong for sure if your range is that bad. I'd suspect poor grounding or a faulty connection somewhere.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-26-2017, 07:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have a Yaseau dual band HAM which the main unit is mounted in the cubby hole on the passenger side in the cargo area of my 100 series. The head unit/controls are mounted in one of the DIN slots up front. I have a Gamaviti antenna mount on the front right fender. So, I am think I need some help tracking down the gremlin issue on this install in improve perfomance. I was looking at it yesterday and am wondering if the cable is running too close to my second batter set up and other cables coming off of that??? That might be just one of several problems, I suppose.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

Poor or no reception usually means antenna issues. Do you know what your transmitting range is and/or have you measured the SWR?

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that you have a bad connection at the base of the antenna on the bracket (I assume it's a NMO base?), a bad PL259 on the coax or an issue with the coax itself (pinched, cut, etc).

I'd be happy to help but that would require significant travel since I'm in Loveland.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

My Yaesu FT-1802 is in Andy Lewien's care now likely facing a "wide deviation crystal filter" which according to the web is a common issue with that model and causes loss of reception. I was not receiving unless squelch was all the way down
Old 05-26-2017, 09:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Poor or no reception usually means antenna issues. Do you know what your transmitting range is and/or have you measured the SWR?

If I was to hazard a guess I'd say that you have a bad connection at the base of the antenna on the bracket (I assume it's a NMO base?), a bad PL259 on the coax or an issue with the coax itself (pinched, cut, etc).

I'd be happy to help but that would require significant travel since I'm in Loveland.

Thanks Dave, I may take you up on your offer to dig into this. I don't mind driving up to Loveland sometime over the next few weeks, to get this fixed. Should I pick up an extra cable just in case the one I have is bad? If so, what do you recommend that I buy?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

You wouldn't need to bring anything, trust me, I probably already have it.

Perhaps the thing to do is organize a Rising Sun Ham & Eggs Run™ soon. It's been a couple of years since the last one.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
My Yaesu FT-1802 is in Andy Lewien's care now likely facing a "wide deviation crystal filter" which according to the web is a common issue with that model and causes loss of reception. I was not receiving unless squelch was all the way down
This is probably a different issue. A radio will go deaf and no longer meet the specified bandwidth. You did verify this with a service monitor, right? :-)

Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Brad,
Did you replace the bad Coax? I recall we diagnosed an open in your coax signal wire at the antenna mount last year. IIRC the radio was good with a mag-mount but bad with your on-board antenna set up which then tested bad. I'm still happy to help just a long drive from you..

EDIT: Daniel, I suspect your radio has a bad squelch pot, it feels wonky and makes sense for what you describe... I'll hook it up this weekend and know for sure.
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, Ever Evolving, now with SLEE SHOCKS!!
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/all purpose truck, mild build so far.

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 05-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimCOTaco View Post
Brad,
Did you replace the bad Coax? I recall we diagnosed an open in your coax signal wire at the antenna mount last year. IIRC the radio was good with a mag-mount but bad with your on-board antenna set up which then tested bad. I'm still happy to help just a long drive from you..

EDIT: Daniel, I suspect your radio has a bad squelch pot, it feels wonky and makes sense for what you describe... I'll hook it up this weekend and know for sure.
That was the CB cable that we tested and was bad and yes, I did replace that one and got that working...now I am trying to figure out my HAM. Oh vey...

Since I am up in Longmont almost weekly perhaps we can reconnect on this new issue. Being proactive, what's the best cabling I should pick up in case it is another bad coax and then let's chat about a time that may work for you if you don't mind digging into this issue with me. Thanks buddy!