Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 10-14-2017, 08:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

That FTM 400 looks awesome, but I wouldnt use all the features. Anyone who has a 7800 or another one with a removable face plate that wants to upgrade let me know as I need to get a HAM for Rachel's GX. She has been using a handheld the last few years
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan

Old 10-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Spooky night run: 13 trucks total. 5 were licensed Ham, 11 had CB, 3 had no coms whatsoever.
And the one guy who needed coms the most didnít have any I have to confess Iíve only been running CB for the last 16 years because thatís generally what I encounter on the trail. I also keep several FRS radios in the truck at all times which have come in handy more times than I can count. Last weekend we were on Argentine Pass filming with the drone at Santiago Mine about to head home when a guy came running down to us asking for help because he slipped sideways off a shelf road and needed help badly.

He hopped in my truck and we headed to find his wife and dogs alone with the stuck truck. Along the way, we found a 4runner from Texas buried to his frame rails asking for assistance, so we pulled him out while I handed the new passenger an FRS radio while he hiked back to his truck and wife. After pulling out the 4runner, we called the other guy on the radio and kept in communication with him until we got to his location and got him out too. The portable radios were a godsend, and theyíve come in handy time and again. I still want to get my HAM license and add it to the repertoire, but I will likely never leave home without multiple FRS radios and a CB because in reality those are the most commonly used coms on the trail outside of the BEST prepared of the groups out there which are the least likely to require assistance IMO.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Also in full disclosure, this was the first run in years where CB was not only the dominant conversation tool, but actually pretty decent quality. There wasn't really a bad CB in the bunch.. and the group was nice and tight all night, so I was actually able to hear pretty much everyone most of the time. that was not expected to say the least... so nice work everyone on their rigs! shows it can still be done old school.

now, being able to speak with & monitor the CO4x4 recovery effort while en route to Idaho Springs is another story. not doing that on the citizen band.

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com