Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 11-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Coaxial Cable routing?

I'm experimenting with some new antenna locations and I'm looking for advice on how to route the coaxial cable.

I've been running both my 2M/70cm and CB antennas on hood mounts from Gamiviti. I like the antenna brackets but the gap between my hood and quarter panels is not really big enough for the coxaial cable. I just replaced my HAM one today prepping for Outlaws.

I picked up a set of LabRak rear antenna mounts that bolt on with the upper tailgate glass struts. I don't really have any good ideas for cable routing back there. I could drill through the sheet metal in the door jam and use a gromet. But I'm not that committed yet.

Any ideas for a good solution on either end? I'm not opposed to keeping them up front with a better cable solution.

Also if I move the HAM to the rear I need an antenna that will mount in a 1/2" hole.

I've also considered welding on some tabs to the spare tire swingout for the antennas.

Couple pictures for reference.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

On my 60 I'm running the thinner type of cable to an NMO mount on the rear hatch. It's thin enough that it fits between the hatch and body and the weather strip doesn't harm it. No drilling required.

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup
Old 11-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

I had my HAM antenna mounted like that too way back when. I did not like the antenna moving with the hatch when opened. Now with the RTT and awning I'm guessing I'd have issues going back to it. But I do remember my coaxial on that being much thinner. My local resources are very limited. I'll look online again for thinner cables.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Keep the cable outside the vehicle- you can run the coax along the frame, then up through the gap between the bumper and body, then just along the opening of the tail gate and upper hatch. this is how I run my power lines to some of the lights on the roof rack.. no drilling and it's outside the gaskets.

Not sure why you'd run the antenna back there though, but obviously personal preference. I found it to be in the way of the RTT, awning, loading just about anything big, too high to fit in the garage, and a magnet for tree branches. I hang out in the back of the truck a lot and was constantly smacking the antenna, or doing extra things to protect it/compensate for it. After I broke my second antenna on a tree I moved the antenna to the front fender where it's only in the way once a year when I change an air filter.

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com