Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 05-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Baby's first 4x4 day

Today Dan took me out for my first 4x4ing excursion with the new-to-me 1988 4runner DLX I picked up a few weeks ago. The outing served the dual purposes of showing me just how incredible these little 4runners can be even in stock form and showing me the differences between integrated front suspension and a solid front axle. Dan brought his 1985 4runner with a solid front axle for comparison purposes with my IFS 4runner.

We went out of Dumont on the Blue Ridge Road and then eventually over to the Silver City Road for a few hours. Dan managed to get stuck at one point but a few rocks under the wheels got us all pointed in the correct direction and with all tires firmly on the ground.

Here are a couple photos and a video of the little mishap. More photos and whatnot are over at my website. If it's not kosher to post this way, let me know and I'll duplicate all of the content here.

The dual purposes of this trip were 1) to introduce me to the AMAZING capabilities of my little 4runner and 2) to compare and contrast between the IFS and solid front axle setups. Dan graciously let me drive his 4runner through a few good test sections and then drive my 4runner through the same sections. While my IFS 4runner does really well, I can definitely feel the difference in his with the solid front axle. My plan is to run with the IFS this summer but next fall I will probably take the plunge and do a SAS conversion on my 4runner.

In conclusion, : ! THANKS A BUNCH, DAN! I really love my 4runner and am extremely thankful that you took the time today to take me out and show me just what an amazing machine it is.
1989 Honda Pacific Coast PC800
2001 Ford Focus ZX3 hot hatch
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604

Last edited by Hulk; 05-19-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:34 PM
Land Use Coordinator

Cool. Looks like a fun day. It's always good to get the tires dirty.
TLCA #22468

The "Honey Badger"- 2003 4-Door Tacoma -- SASed, Locked, Built, and Abnormally Aspirated.

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD. ©

Spread the Gospel of the Wilderness.
Go to the Mountains and hear their good tidings.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

I feel like I saw kids come out of the woods with guns, but I'm not sure.?

"A man's greatest strides are made without taking a single step"

Toyota Trails Magazine Managing Editor
OutdoorX4 Magazine Staff
100s in the Hills Co-Director
Old 05-18-2015, 09:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I feel like I saw kids come out of the woods with guns, but I'm not sure.?
Yes, yes you did. I'm not sure where exactly those two came from, or even where they went. Definitely a bit odd.

Fun times.

I should correct something though: it's my wife's 4 runner. She is somewhat jealous she wasn't there. Getting stuck on something like that is a mini-adventure in and of itself always.

All because I wanted to see how much that old saggy stock suspension flexed. Good times!

Dan

Last edited by DanS; 05-18-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Read the post on your website. Wanted to highlight a statement because it's important to understand recovery equipment.
Quote:
scott on May 17, 2015 at 7:54 pm

If you have a can of wd40 which if you are crossing water you should have a long and just spray down the mech of the handiman and if it isnít worn it will work like new . But if it is worn they sell rebuild kits for them at most any farm supply type store around here and they havenít changed in like 50 years ,I keep an extra kit on hand . I carry 2 50′ ropes and about another 30 ft of heavy chain, I made the ropes out of some 1 1/4 rope they used to sell and a saddle a rope store . I kind of didnít do it the safest way as I used cable clamps but I have been using them for 20 years and last week I pulled a spray truck with a full 500 gal tank out of a deep raven and I needed everything I had to reach him , I got about 15 feet of slack and took off pulled him right out and all then all the way to a road, I have some safety cables built in in case a loop breaks in the rope.
It sounds like he's using a rope as a snatch strap. This is how you break stuff and hurt people. Also this is usually an ineffective recovery compared to a snatch strap being used in the same way, which are much better. Spend the money to get true snatch straps.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus