Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 08-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Lifted

Ah, interesting. From the vids I've seen, some courses have sizeable drops - I guess you just get used to riding those blind then. I'm not sure how you get good at coming up on something at speed, for the first time seeing it, and judging if it's a roller vs a drop. I guess wearing pads is an answer, or when in doubt air it out. You can drop a roller, you can't roll a drop. Something like that anyway.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
Ah, interesting. From the vids I've seen, some courses have sizeable drops - I guess you just get used to riding those blind then. I'm not sure how you get good at coming up on something at speed, for the first time seeing it, and judging if it's a roller vs a drop. I guess wearing pads is an answer, or when in doubt air it out. You can drop a roller, you can't roll a drop. Something like that anyway.
Typically I try to arrive a day or two early and pre-ride the hard stuff. Last year at Sante Fe they had a blind section. You could walk it, but not allowed to ride it. It was the most technical section and had a 4 foot drop right at the finish/heckle zone. Super fun.

Here's a good clip of that one. Im the third rider... on a flat.

https://www.facebook.com/BigMountain...5981419767271/
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 08-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

ooppffh that looks fun on the right bike...
TLCA#4180
Old 08-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Lifted

Ha, it's that exact section I had in mind when posting earlier. Not a bad drop from the looks of it if you had a chance to ride it a few times. Different animal if it's the first time you've seen it. One of you fellow rudeboy (girl?) racers took a decent shot to the chest.

Doesn't look too much worse than some of dakota ridge or mountain lion tech wise though? AKA if you can ride everything on the front range, you can ride enduro?

Edit: 1:20 in that video is exactly why a full face comes in handy. Wow.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Ha, it's that exact section I had in mind when posting earlier. Not a bad drop from the looks of it if you had a chance to ride it a few times. Different animal if it's the first time you've seen it. One of you fellow rudeboy (girl?) racers took a decent shot to the chest.

Doesn't look too much worse than some of dakota ridge or mountain lion tech wise though? AKA if you can ride everything on the front range, you can ride enduro?

Edit: 1:20 in that video is exactly why a full face comes in handy. Wow.

Yep, that's my girlfriend No injuries! She wasnt quite ready for the drop, so she was taking the go around. She crashed earlier on and messed up her brake levers.... Didnt get them adjusted and wasnt able to grab the rear brake to slow down. Its steeper than it looks.

If you can ride Dakota Ridge fine, you shouldnt have a problem. Its just mountain biking. Speed is when things go wrong.
77 VW Beetle

Old 08-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Lifted

Glad she came through unscathed, she definitely paused after that impact.

Sounds good on the tech level. I'll pick up a couple enduros next year then. The Grand Junction one looks like a ton of fun, and I love the lunch loops area. Although racing down the ribbon sounds like a great way to blow up a tire and/or wheelset if you forget about that 6" step 2/3 of the way towards the bottom and barrel into it at 40+ mph (think the fastest guys this year were knocking on 50mph top speeds).

On a separate note, there are apparently enough riders in here to do a group ride if folks were ever so inclined. Cruisers make great shuttle vehicles...
Old 08-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

There are few of us who get together irregularly. We're not pro enduro racers though so it's a decidedly casual old fart pace often with an early end for beer. I am personally anti-shuttle though. Haven't ever done it or even ridden a chair lift in the summer. I'm a curmudgeon, some may even say retro grouch.

Name:  IMG_1384_mid.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  74.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1395_mid.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  122.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1402_mid.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  152.3 KB

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 09-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Lifted

Are you taking that shiny new intense to the Giddy Up this weekend?
Old 09-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Are you taking that shiny new intense to the Giddy Up this weekend?
My plan was to race the Enduro-X in Steamboat this weekend, but I'm bailing on that.

The full Giddy Up was full before I had the chance to sign up. I might be up on Windy Saddle with the rest of the team to help out, but not sure yet.

Giddy Up was fun last year. I was the first rider on course with the #2 plate. Timed ascents and descents really pick the crowd apart. I placed 2nd overall in the descent portion.... Racing up North Table fire road was insane. Timed stage from the bottom of the road to the top. You could see your 30 second rider, minute, and minute thirty in front of you, just out of reach.
77 VW Beetle

Old 09-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Lifted

Nice, I am going solely to have EF and gut of Apex open for a clean descent. I was going to bring the xc bike for the NTM portion...but have since decided this is a 'fun' event and not a race, so I'll be on the 6" bike and in a superman onesie. Should be easy to spot. Beer hand ups greatly appreciated.

I saw an event in WY got cancelled due to the smoke, I'd be surprised if they didn't also cancel the enduro-x especially considering one of the fires is in steamboat.