Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Single speed love

Getting fired up for BMX season (the original single speed). Built some new wheels today for my race bike. Upgraded the fork. Overall I took 35oz off the bike, 21 was just in the wheels.

Wheel components for the other bike geeks:
Profile Elite hubs, Ti driver, 20mm front axle
Ti 2.0 spokes
DT alloy nips
24" Sun Envy hoops.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-11-2017, 12:52 AM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to Lastresort576

no clips? I'm so far removed from the bmx game its nearly sad..But it's nice to see profile is still a thing.
'68 MGB-GT
Old 03-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm going to order a pair of Time ATAC MX clipless pedals soon. I rode with my Speedplay Frogs a few time on the track. They were the near death of me as they offer really nothing if you come out of them. I'm also still trying to learn to manual, platforms better for that.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-12-2017, 12:20 AM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to Lastresort576

good point on the learning. one of these days I need to get a set for my mtb. never rode them before but with the climbing out here theyre essential.
'68 MGB-GT
Old 03-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

My 4 yr old daughter has dumped the training wheels so I figured I should bust out my old bmx to ride around with her rather than the mtb. GT Interceptor, feels like it weighs a ton, and probably looks goofy for an old man to ride with the 20" wheels. Oh well
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Rad! You'll like the Profile, hopefully you have good luck with it. Engagement and action is spot on.

Unfortunate to me, I couldn't stop blowing up mine on my mountain bike. (Much different power here) Profile seems to think I'm an anomaly since I went through 3 drivers, a axle and a hub shell in the first 3 months of owning it. I replaced it with a I9 and miss the noise and positive engagement that the elite offered. Not fully impressed with the I9 so far
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Wow, I probably built a 100 of those in my early bike shop days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprosise View Post
Rad! You'll like the Profile, hopefully you have good luck with it. Engagement and action is spot on.

Unfortunate to me, I couldn't stop blowing up mine on my mountain bike. (Much different power here) Profile seems to think I'm an anomaly since I went through 3 drivers, a axle and a hub shell in the first 3 months of owning it. I replaced it with a I9 and miss the noise and positive engagement that the elite offered. Not fully impressed with the I9 so far
Seems to me the biggest flaw to the MTB Profile hub would be the seal to the driver. Does not seem like it would hold back the dirt. I road the I9 on a demo bike and liked it. What is your complaint? Of course my MTB still has a simple Hugi 240.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

The labyrinth seal is supposed to be the shizzle. I'd be shocked, just shocked I tell ya, to hear of Profile hub issues.

But someday I'll get a set of either those or Chris Kings.

Until then it's the same ol' cheap Stan's imported crap that gets a new freebody and bearings a couple of times a year. To be fair I'm using a Shimano cassette hub with the cog almost all the way at the end of the body so I'm sure it's about as abusive as can be.

Name:  IMG_0539_mid_adjusted.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  71.9 KB

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

I rocked king for a while because yanno, it's "king". gave up after sending the rear hub back like 4 times to cure some skip it had on engagement. that was after years of abuse but still, you'd figure the factory could fix it. To finniky for my taste. Now it's a 240. sure engagement sucks (I tried the finer toothed rings but they blew up) but what the hell it's been working for miles and miles. Now that I say that it'll blow up. Friends with I9's love 'em. Never ridden one.

The BMX stuff is neat. Always wanted to go out and try one but i'm sure i'd wreck.
82 FJ40
Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Wow, I probably built a 100 of those in my early bike shop days.

Seems to me the biggest flaw to the MTB Profile hub would be the seal to the driver. Does not seem like it would hold back the dirt. I road the I9 on a demo bike and liked it. What is your complaint? Of course my MTB still has a simple Hugi 240.
Yeah, the seal sucks. This is after 1 week of use.

Never had an issue with the BMX side of profile. That's why I went with the Elite MTB hubs. Torque is applied a little different on a Mountain bike... They haven't quite figured out how to get their hub to hold up to that.

My new I9 has tons of bearing play out of the box. Sending it back already. Its 3 days old.
Attached Images

77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!