Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 01-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default fat bikes

I keep looking at these things on CL.. and see quite a few in the sub-$1k price point. Who's got one? Is it that fun? Maybe I'm just intrigued because it's different. Doesn't look like they really do suspension on these. I realize I really know nothing anymore about bikes, in fact I haven't ridden a 29er either.

I want to get out more this summer though, and figured why not pick up something different. By current bikes are a Gary Fischer Sugar 2, and Bridgestone MB1. So yeah, it's all new to me.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bid/5389880506.html

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Don't let Art Hog hear me tell you this, but they are fads and suck for anything other than beaches and packed snow.

Kirsten has demo'd them, she really wants to be interested in them but when the time comes to put the money down it just really doesn't scratch the itch. Me, I just fail to see the benefit of the niche they fill, which they do very well in their specialty.

Buy a 29'er, you'll love that. Then you can be an unhip wanker, too. To me the 29 is perfect (for someone less cross country more downhill oriented or maybe a little shorter the 650b is very similar) in that it sucks or excels pretty much equally in all scenarios.

It's got a few places where it does well but mostly it's just a do-it-all. The fat bikes are awesome at what they do at the expense of IMHO really sucking at the stuff they don't.

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 01-28-2016, 10:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Dave is a fad. Tim we can talk later, I think were being watched.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Dude, you know it's a hipster trend when the NY Times style section covers it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/tr...ires.html?_r=0

How much more anti-punk can something be?

Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

The fuzz loves their fat bikes, you tools of oppression. Make sure you get the kickstand option with it.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

My brother LOVES them. You can air them down to 5 psi and bomb hills with em. He swears by them and all he does is draw, eat, ride bikes, fix bikes. He works at the Giant store in Aspen Grove if you ever want to demo one or ask a guy who rides his daily.

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, SOLD, then totalled

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 01-29-2016, 09:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
The fuzz loves their fat bikes, you tools of oppression. Make sure you get the kickstand option with it.
That made me smile.

I'm kinda on Dave's side. It's a bit of a fad but they're here to stay. They are incredibly fun in the snow which is where they excel. There are a few local frame builders too and if you want to spring the front end, RockShox has the Bluto fork. The bikes Surly puts out are solid.

I wouldn't want one as an every day mtn bike though. So much terrain around here that I just don't think their suited to riding.

I've never been able to justify it to myself as there's just not enough snow here in the city. I'd probably only ride it a handful of times through the winter. If I was further up the hill, or down in Durango/Telluride, I'd be all over it.

As Dave mentioned, a 29er would serve you well. They roll over everything and climb well. The larger wheel size equates to a two tooth difference on a chainring.

I have yet to ride a 27.5 because well, 26 ain't dead. How's that for being an unhip wanker? I have a feeling I'd really love it though. Climb like a 29 and descend like a 26. Pretty good compromise.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

So if your back yard was something like this... Good for a fat bike? Or just pump up the tires on the Bridgestone and get out there?
Attached Images

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Why do I dislike them? They take a refined, efficient machine and make it like an inelegant, obtuse, ugly tractor. Blah. I prefer Paola Pezzo to Bluto Blutarsky.

Packed like that, no real advantage to a fat bike. Run studded tires and it might as well be dirt. You'd want to air down, not up. If you must, tubeless larger 29'er (2.3ish) and you'd ride for hours.

Plus people have been running their bikes in all conditions for a century. Buck up, buttercup.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have zero personal saddle time on one...but EVERYONE I know that has one loves it

I'm holding off to see if Dave is right

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Begging for a lift
1967 FJ40 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094