Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default CBHT - the ultimate dark side

so I'm now looking at combining two of my least desirable communication tools, and wondering what the recommendations are... those being hand held radio and citizen band. My two vehicles will not have a permanent CB installed. I will not drill holes for one, run wires for one, don't want to see it, work around it, or have any part of it on a daily basis. Ham radio is another story, only mentioned here to say no, I'm not open to hacking a legal Ham to transmit on CB, and I'm not open to a cheap Ham that may also transmit where it's not supposed to.. I already have a couple Baofeng's and have actually not been successful transmitting on FRS frequencies, despite its claims that one could, however yes it will monitor. But I digress... let's just leave it an unequivocal no, one radio can't do both, don't try to beat the system.

I obviously abhor CB quality for range and clarity issues, even great CB's are terrible by ham radio standards. I also have gone on record multiple times about the downsides of having a handhelds as your vehicle communication tool- from bumping the volume or squelch accidentally, to losing the thing under the seat or under your brake pedal, to just having to deal with another object without a home. Better to have your junk bolted down.

However I think it's still important to be inclusive of everyone, on any club run, and at least once a year a requirement to have a CB. I'm good with that- I want to lead runs, want to be inclusive of others, but this time I have decided to do it with a handheld.

Anyone have a suggestion? I have a mag mount with standard PL-259 connector, thinking if I snap that up top I'll get pretty decent receive coverage. I suspect they all transmit at the maximum 4 watt allowable, but could be wrong there perhaps there's a difference. Or maybe that doesn't matter so much when I'm only really using the thing talking to guys in my mirror.

So for my own edification, and for the benefit of others maybe in the same camp, let's find the best hand held CB solution.

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Trail Ready

For me, the all in one cobra with a cig lighter plug and mag mount has been an easy temporary cb. There is that convertible Midland that might be a good option. Could take it back to handheld duty for spotting

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-82.../dp/B00000K2YR

1996 FZJ80
2000 UZJ100

Last edited by gahi; 02-09-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hmm.. thanks, Gary. so this one? https://midlandusa.com/product/75-822cb-radio/

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Trail Ready

Ya, that's the one I'm thinking of. I've never used it, but it seems like a good option

1996 FZJ80
2000 UZJ100
Old 02-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Vice Commander

I have that Midland thing pictured and it's definitely a CB. I've had one fail (chip goes out such that everything works but it wakes up with no memory of channel setting or power level) but not that big a deal because you don't change around much on a CB anyway.

The key as always is the antenna and tuning and mine seems to work fine given the system is tuned up.

However, as I've started to lead more I've actually been wanting a hard mount CB for better receive audio, easier ptt keying, and less messing up the settings while it's rocking around the cab.

I still think this may be the unit for you, just wanted to drop a few notes on my experiences with a pair of them..

EDIT: cig plugs never stay put for me so I converted mine to a powerpole...it should be ok to have a powerpole connector under the dash even for 'L' branded Toyotas I think
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, Ever Evolving, now with SLEE SHOCKS!!
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/all purpose truck, mild build so far.

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 02-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have a cobra unit and it is tiny and stays behind the dash. If I disconnect the hand piece you'd never know I had a CB in the truck. Most of the time it doesn't get used, so that's why I like it hidden. It still has to be installed, though, which I think goes against your thread idea?

Horribly Painted Moonglow '95 FZJ80 Has Some - Still Needs More!
White 2008 GX470 - Begging for a lift
1967 FJ40 - Nearly Stock

"When you come upon the guy barely pushing on his pedals, barely turning the cranks, RESERVE JUDGEMENT...for you have no idea the HELL he conquered before you finally caught up to him." PDL

http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 02-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah I want to be able to switch vehicles. I had that Cobra in my 80 and thought it worked well, but the brain of the thing needed to be installed, as you say.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have a small cobra, $30. I cut the power cord and spliced it to a battery charger cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter. We use it in 3 trucks. Works like a cb. Magnet antenna stays put. The smaller hand held one would be nice.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Tim: I've had no trouble with that midland 75-822 since 2012 (or longer.) The belt clip is sturdy metal, the included clip on aa battery pack stays on. It is smaller than most CB HTs. It works SLIGHTLY better than the older CBHTs. The portable antenna connection is BNC so you can replace the included rubber duck dummy load with a good old fragile telescopic antenna easily.

Running portable, in a metal cab, it'll get you out far enough to tell the guy behind you which way to turn at the "T."

When plugged into the the lighter, it is a full legal output CB. Add a mag mount outside the truck and it gets out as good as any other CB. screw on the antenna, plug it in = easiest CB install in the world. I like that since I only use it with groups that are running CB.

The speaker is loud enough for top down use on the highway, but it sounds like the tiny little speaker it is.

It does get warm in your hand with heavy use, but never hot and never shuts down.

It has additional useless functions like weather band, memory, and scan. The backlight is weak and turns off in just a few seconds.

One "feature" it lacks is a "local/DX" switch. If I get too close to the rig in front of me with a good antenna connected, it will overload the front end and I can't understand the guy. If I get say 50' away it is fine. or if I run my 2' "dummy load" antenna it is fine on the trail.

In the open top, 6 volt willys, I use this old giant "sports" radioshacker. Takes 9 or 10 AA batteries. almost too big to hold. full output with all those AAs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BazzzBm36eY